Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-14-2010, 10:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
Winterizing LT1 Questions

Hi all,

Iíve done a bunch of searches and read most everything I can find on winterizing, fogging etc. But I have a few quick questions to clarify before I do this next weekend. I live in Northern Ontario so it gets real cold all winter and the boat will sit from now (this month) till June before itís back in the water.

The motor is a 1996 LT1.

1) Fogging with the LT1 engine. Most of the posts seem to talk about shooting some fogging oil into a hole in the throttle plate, behind the flame arrestor? Is this the same with the LT1? Does anyone happen to have a picture of where this is on my LT1? Iím also planning on removing the spark plugs and spraying a little directly into the cylinders.

2) Draining the block. From what I have read itís not recommend using RV anti-freeze on this motor due to the aluminum heads. If I remove the various hoses mentioned in posts and turn the motor over once or twice it sounds like I should be good. Also need to remove the petcocks on the block. Is there 4 per side?

Thanks in advance for your input
Nidus72
Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 W/ LT-1 & Powerslot
nidus72, I have the same engine.
1. I have been told both ways: fog thru throttle / do not fog thru throttle. I have always fogged thru the throttle and have never had any problems doing this.
2. I was also told not to use anti-freeze on this engine because of the heads. I have never used it in the 14 years of ownership. I live in Seattle which is much warmer during the winter than where you are, so I do not get that extreme cold weather.
Yes, there are 4 petcocks, both sides of the block and exhaust manifolds.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
1) Don't spray fogging oil into the intake, spray directly into cylinders only. You don't want to foul up your injectors.

2) There are four locations you are looking to remove a plug or other item. On the manifolds, stern side, there are plugs. These can be removed with a 1/2" socket. There are two additional plugs on the sides of the engine block, above the oil pan and below the manifolds. I have a brass plug on the port side and a knock sensor on the starboard side of mine. Remove each of these and make sure you get a good flow of water out of each. If you have a petcock, remove it completely.

Anti-freeze is not recommended.

Take your impeller out of its housing and store somewhere climate controlled, preferably.

Detach the lower end of each of the water hoses on the bow side of the motor and shake out any excess water.

Make sure you also remove your transmission cooler and get any extra water out of it, those are easy to bust.

Throw some Sta-bil in a full tank of fuel, detach the battery, lube up the drive shaft, throttle and transmission cables and you are done.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
Thanks for the quick response!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: none
sorry to threadjack, but I have a 94 LT1 and I thought i had only 2 petcock valves, the quick disconnect hose and the impellar to drain. Am i missing something? any pictures would be great i am not sure if a 96 LT1 has 4 petcocks instead of 2

thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
2 on the passenger side, 1 on the drivers side plus you need to remove the Knock-sensor. I have a '93
Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
Just to clarify, there are 4 holes total that water is drained from regardless of the hardware that is screwed into them.

These are what I call petcock valves:

However, my boat has one of these at the stern side of each manifold (2 total):

I have one of these (brass plug) on the port side of the engine block above the oil pan and below the manifolds:

On the same spot on the starboard side of the engine I have one of these knock sensors:

Bottom line, four holes on the engine, get the water out of there. If you have petcock valves on any of these locations, remove the valve completely.

I think everyone is trying to say the same thing, maybe just different nomenclature.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
One more important tip:

Once you remove the plugs (whtever type that they are) it is critical to poke an awl or something up into the hole and wiggle it around.

Several times I have had rust, scale and muck combine to hold water in the block. That would be a disaster.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
Owner of a LT-1 since 1998 and have put conventional anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) into my block every year and have always fogged through the throttle plate. No problems here.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
As for fogging, my assumption is that the LT1, being a multiport injected Chevy, is a dry flow manifold and, thus, should not be fogged at the intake. I know that's the case on my dry intake GT-40 MPI engine.

You can fog a wet flow intake though.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.