Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
New Decals, Polish before or After?

Hi guys,

I've just pulled the old decals off my 1996 PS205 and have done the boat with Meguiar's Oxidation remover and the clear coat came back pretty nice.

I'm planning on using the Meguiar's polish followed by a good wax. My understanding is the polish restores some nutrients to the gel coat. Question. should the new decals go on the hull now (after the oxidation was removed) or after I apply the polish and before the wax?

I know I don't want wax under the decals but I've never used polish (before reading about it being used on this site) so I'm looking for opinions.

Thanks
Nidus72
Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
polish, decals then wax ... good luck and enjoy
Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
What he said!
Still, wipe down the decal area with lacquer thinner or alchohol before putting the decals on.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-26-2010, 02:29 PM
MC Maniac

great thought on wiping down the area before applying the decals ....go slow applying the decals
Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I didn't have any problems putting the decals on my '96 dry, but for bigger stickers, can be nearly impossible to get them to lay down without bubbles/creases.
To put them on with some adjustability, spray the gel and back of sticker with water/soap mix, like several drops of dish soap in a full spray bottle. This will allow you to move the decal around and position it, squeege out the bubbles and creases.
Once it's set, if the edges are peeling up, lift the edges of the sticker and spray a 50/50 mix of water/rubbing alchohol. This will disolve the soap and set the edges. Once it dries you're done.
Be careful of the old OEM MC decals, they will be hard to get off the backing if you've bought some originals. Be careful not to tear the decal, pulling the backing off.
Any little tiny bubbles under the stickers, just leave them alone, usually dissapear after a couple times out in the sun. If they don't carefully poke or slice the bubble and flatten it out.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-26-2010, 04:01 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for all the input!

I'll polish this afternoon and try to hit the decals later tonight or tomorrow. They are new decals from Redline Vinyl. I wanted to go bigger than the original MasterCraft logo.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 PM
MC Maniac

pictures ... we need pictures!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
TT Regular

Hey 2RLAKE,

Here are some before and after pics as requested. I used oxidation remover, did the polish, applied the decals and now just need to wax it before putting it back in the water. The transom decal is pretty much the same, the ProStar decal I had changed to reference the Corvette inside and the side logo is obviously huge compared to original. Original was 4" high and I went 8" high. Now that I see it on the boat I think it looks too big and probably should have gone about 6 inches but I guess I'll live with it and change that out down the road depending on how well these new decals hold up.

Nidus72
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 PM
TT Regular

Here are the 2 additional photo's, didn't realize there was a limit of 5!

Nidus72
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2010, 09:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Nice Work

Always amazing to see the before and after shots. You did a nice job and the hull looks amazing compared to before your effort.

Enjoy!

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!