Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-15-2018, 08:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X30
MCX Water in Oil

Greetings

I have a X30 with an MCX that I recently purchased expecting a cracked block due to freezing. Long story short after getting about 6 gallons of water/oil/sludge out of the engine compression test was good on all cylinders. From my forum reading it sounds like the most likely culprit is the exhaust risers allowing water to enter the engine.

Current game plan is to flush all the crap out of the engine with daily oil changes until it clears out and to take apart the exhaust system to look for cracks or failed gaskets.

Curious who else has experienced this and what advice they had.

Many Thanks....
Old 08-15-2018, 08:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2 & 1984 Stars & Stripes
Did you buy the green one north of atlanta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 PM
TT Newbie

yes I did, hell of a deal

The seller was cool and completely honest, so I knew I had some work ahead of me.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
I'd probably pull it strip and clean , check it out top to bottom before running it any. I don't think the sludge would flush out well by itself
Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Wish you the best in your adventure but just FYI it is completely possible to have a good compression test and still have a cracked block.

I would be inclined to get the engine oil clean, potentially using a drill to drive the engine oil pump and then run the boat in water and watch for leaks before I made any investments in parts or further labor

Last edited by CruisinGA; 08-16-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:17 PM
TT Newbie

Your killing my optimism....

Parts costs and my labor is pretty cheap, but yea I agree to clean up oil side and see what I've got.

Guess I could run the boat either in water or fake a lake, then disconnect water from exhaust headers and see if water shows back up in oil. Seems like that should determine if water is coming through the block or the exhaust. Any other suggestions on troubleshooting?
Old 08-16-2018, 04:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
Im trying to think how you would run it like a closed cooling system without overheating the exhaust manifolds and Im not coming up with any ideas. You might remove inspect / test / replace the manifolds. If you know they are good then the block is likely bad. If they are bad then you get new ones and test them on your block and hope its ok. Still I would pull it even if you were sure its ok to clean it out good. No reason to take a chance on an expensive engine.
Its not terribly complicated to pull.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:42 PM
TT Newbie

Just for entertainment purposes/update. Yeah the engine was completely trashed, cracks about 4-6 inches long across the front four cylinders. I was able to use a vacuum pump and suck 6 gallons of sludge out of the engine. Flushed it with diesel fuel. Got the engine running dry fine. Ran it with water and filled up the crank case.

Got the old motor pulled out and bolting everything up to my new motor now. Thing should run like a top next summer....