Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Lukex45

Engine

Last edited by Lukex45; 06-25-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:34 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
barn and rain.. I would check the harness.. for corrosion or rodent damage.. but after all that ot does need to b hooked up to a computer.. IMO
Old 02-05-2017, 11:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukex45 View Post
Hi Guys,

First post on here, but have been prowling the forum for many years, great forum with loads of handy tips. I'm from the not so sunny country of England.

Anyways, I rescued a 2008 X45 SS LY6 6.0 litre Mastercraft from a old barn last year with only 79hours !! A rather wealthy family had bought it, however didn't get the use of it. They laid her up in the barn with the plugs still in. Over the space of 5 years she slowly filled with rain water, the engine and gearbox was completely seized. I fully rebuilt the engine and had the gearbox re-built and tested by a ZF Main dealer. Many $$$$ later she is totally like new..... nearly.

Problem I'm now stuck with:

Before I continue, the fuel tank was opened up, cleaned, fresh 1/2 tank fuel added. Injectors chem cleaned and tested to specification, new fuel pump installed for good measures, and of course 2x brand new batteries. New earth straps to engine and all terminals renewed.

The motor fires up no problem, however instantly dies. I attached a fuel pressure gauge which reads a constant 60 psi in all situations. This has to rule out fuel issues? The VDIG displays no engine errors, lights, or problems.

Any ideas you guys might have would be appreciated ? I'm getting close to buying Rinda DIACOM to help me troubleshoot.

Luke
When you post "fires up no problem", does that mean it wants to start when the key is in the crank position, but dies as soon as the key is in the Run position? If so, make sure the lanyard is on the kill switch and if it is, make sure that circuit is operating properly. This means that you should be able to measure voltage on the purple wire when the switch is pressed in, but not when the clip is removed. If the gauges go dead immediately upon releasing the key, this is a good indicator.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Lukex45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
barn and rain.. I would check the harness.. for corrosion or rodent damage.. but after all that ot does need to b hooked up to a computer.. IMO
Iv been right through the harness, and triple checked everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
When you post "fires up no problem", does that mean it wants to start when the key is in the crank position, but dies as soon as the key is in the Run position? If so, make sure the lanyard is on the kill switch and if it is, make sure that circuit is operating properly. This means that you should be able to measure voltage on the purple wire when the switch is pressed in, but not when the clip is removed. If the gauges go dead immediately upon releasing the key, this is a good indicator.
Ok, I mean it turns over, fires up. Runs for approx.1second and dies like its been switched off. I tried holding the start key over today not allowing it to go to run position (Starter was still engaged whilst running for that 1 second) again it cuts out. Good advice on the kill switch, I will take a look at this tomorrow. However when key is released back to run position, the gauges do not go dead. They start registering data just before it cuts out, but the dash stays live.

Iv ordered a full set of GM crank sensor, cam and MAF... again for good measures, or maybe I'm just throwing parts at the thing because iv run out of options

Thanks for your advice, all appreciated
Old 02-05-2017, 05:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukex45 View Post
Iv been right through the harness, and triple checked everything

Ok, I mean it turns over, fires up. Runs for approx.1second and dies like its been switched off. I tried holding the start key over today not allowing it to go to run position (Starter was still engaged whilst running for that 1 second) again it cuts out. Good advice on the kill switch, I will take a look at this tomorrow. However when key is released back to run position, the gauges do not go dead. They start registering data just before it cuts out, but the dash stays live.

Iv ordered a full set of GM crank sensor, cam and MAF... again for good measures, or maybe I'm just throwing parts at the thing because iv run out of options

Thanks for your advice, all appreciated
Check for codes- all of the sensors you listed should cause a code if they're bad. Scan for codes before replacing any parts, but look at the MAF first- if the wire corrodes, it won't run correctly, if at all.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2 2010 Indmar MCX GEN2 LPG
does the fuel relay fall after that 1 sec. ? or is the fuel pressure after stopping already on 60?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Lukex45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Check for codes- all of the sensors you listed should cause a code if they're bad. Scan for codes before replacing any parts, but look at the MAF first- if the wire corrodes, it won't run correctly, if at all.
Checking for Codes is the next option, im in progress of making a marine 6 pin harness to OBD 2 adaptor and see if my OBD scanner will pick up the codes. Anyone else tried this ?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Lukex45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breiti View Post
does the fuel relay fall after that 1 sec. ? or is the fuel pressure after stopping already on 60?
60 psi throughout the whole time very nicely, even after shutdown.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
It sounds like the computer is shutting it down. I would look at anything that would cause this, such as low oil pressure and or etc...
Old 02-07-2017, 10:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Following, I am chasing an almost identical problem. Mine will run stay running if you partially open the throttle.