Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 10-17-2018, 02:46 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: XT21
Tundra is nice towing rig. My friend has one and he can tow his 18' Four Winns with ease.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
Have an 18 that pulls like a mule
Old 10-17-2018, 10:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatkinz View Post
I'll be inclined to keep this truck to at least 300K unless Toyota comes up with some sort of reliable hybrid or incredible improvement in fuel economy.
I feel the same way about my tahoe and fuel economy. I fill up every 2-2.5 days and it's inconvenient. But it would have to be a large improvement in fuel economy for me to switch to a different engine.

I'm not going to daily a 3/4 diesel in weekday traffic and the sticker prices for the new diesel half tons are blasphemy.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I have a 2010 Tundra. I won't compare, because we have a lot of loyal GM owners. However, based on my own past experiences with my GM products, my parents' GM products and friends GM products, I am on the Toyota bandwagon. I'll definitely go this direction again when the new model is released. Fuel hungry? Yes. Typical Toyota trim and tech? Yes. But after 9 years and 130,000+ miles, my Tundra has not once been in for a repair. Regular maintenance and bad fuel is all that has ever made me visit the shop. For a 1/2-ton, I love it. I also personally like that Toyota does not release a new body style every other year to ensure that a 5 year old truck is 3 body styles out of date (exaggeration, I know, but you get my drift).

My neighbor was just relocated to Plano from SoCal with Toyota/Lexus. He is a higher level marketing exec and said that 2020 is the year for the new Tundra. Hopefully that means higher fuel efficiency, because in my mind, that is the only negative mark on the truck. Luckily, I have a company gas card, but it would be nice to have more range and be able to pass more gas stations.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
My neighbor was just relocated to Plano from SoCal with Toyota/Lexus.
Does your friend boat? Send him mine/Arics way if so!

2017 Nissan Maxima SL

Lonestar Masterbash
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=85369

Texas A&M '21
Old 10-18-2018, 05:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 Nautique Sport 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
But it would have to be a large improvement in fuel economy for me to switch to a different engine.
So I've been thinking quite a bit about this. That is, when the next gen comes out, exactly how much better would it need to be on gas for me to consider an immediate upgrade? I get some fuel reimbursement from my company so I don't eat all of the fuel costs, but I definitely feel some personal impact. Exactly how much would the fuel economy need to improve for you to consider an upgrade to the next gen Tundra? I can buy a lot of fuel for the depreciation hit I'd take.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
I work very closely with them at the dealer level and rumor has it the new one will be available with a Cummins diesel
Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by atihanyi View Post
I work very closely with them at the dealer level and rumor has it the new one will be available with a Cummins diesel
Thatís been a rumor for years. Not true

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 10-19-2018, 01:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatkinz View Post
So I've been thinking quite a bit about this. That is, when the next gen comes out, exactly how much better would it need to be on gas for me to consider an immediate upgrade? I get some fuel reimbursement from my company so I don't eat all of the fuel costs, but I definitely feel some personal impact. Exactly how much would the fuel economy need to improve for you to consider an upgrade to the next gen Tundra? I can buy a lot of fuel for the depreciation hit I'd take.
I think you and I are one the same wavelength. I too get reimbursed for fuel - I think the fed sets that rate at $0.565/mile? Unless your company pays more.....When you drive a half ton GM vehicle like I do, the costs to drive for my company are just about breakeven. And I also worked an additional $175/month stipend to help cover for additional expenses.

Unlike Sodar's Tundra, my Tahoe definitely sees the shop a good amount. In 160k I've gone thru 4 front wheel bearings, 3 transmissions, cooling lines, a tire sensor, & full suspension replacement. Meh, maybe not all that bad (all of the transmissions were covered under warranty!). Luckily I've been spared all the AFM issues that a lot of guys have with these newer GM motors.

To your point exactly, we can buy TONS of fuel for that depreciation hit. 1/2 Trucks are TOO HOT right now to be buying into the diesel motors. In addition to this, the cost of diesel is around a 25-27% premium in comparison to 87, so in reality it is BREAKEVEN when you factor in increased fuel efficiency along with the increased fuel costs, and we aren't even taking into consideration the premium you pay for the diesel motor. I just don't see the benefit. Plus, my boat, for the short distance I tow it, is going to feel the same behind a half ton whether or not there is a gas or diesel motor. Of course you will get better torque with the diesel. But if you want a true luxury ride while towing a heavy trailer, doesn't matter if it's a boat, dump trailer, camper, whatever, you move into the 3/4 tons and 1 tons. 1/2 tons with any motor just don't cut it.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 Nautique Sport 200
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
I think you and I are one the same wavelength. I too get reimbursed for fuel - I think the fed sets that rate at $0.565/mile? Unless your company pays more.....When you drive a half ton GM vehicle like I do, the costs to drive for my company are just about breakeven. And I also worked an additional $175/month stipend to help cover for additional expenses.

Unlike Sodar's Tundra, my Tahoe definitely sees the shop a good amount. In 160k I've gone thru 4 front wheel bearings, 3 transmissions, cooling lines, a tire sensor, & full suspension replacement. Meh, maybe not all that bad (all of the transmissions were covered under warranty!). Luckily I've been spared all the AFM issues that a lot of guys have with these newer GM motors.

To your point exactly, we can buy TONS of fuel for that depreciation hit. 1/2 Trucks are TOO HOT right now to be buying into the diesel motors. In addition to this, the cost of diesel is around a 25-27% premium in comparison to 87, so in reality it is BREAKEVEN when you factor in increased fuel efficiency along with the increased fuel costs, and we aren't even taking into consideration the premium you pay for the diesel motor. I just don't see the benefit. Plus, my boat, for the short distance I tow it, is going to feel the same behind a half ton whether or not there is a gas or diesel motor. Of course you will get better torque with the diesel. But if you want a true luxury ride while towing a heavy trailer, doesn't matter if it's a boat, dump trailer, camper, whatever, you move into the 3/4 tons and 1 tons. 1/2 tons with any motor just don't cut it.
I think its .545/mile or at least that's what I get reimbursed for mileage. With regards to repairs, I haven't had any and I would be real disappointed if I had, given my trucks age and mileage. The dealership I purchased from offers unlimited power train warranty w/o a deductible if you have them do all of the Toyota recommended service. I like that in addition to the product having a durable reputation, I have that little piece of mind.

With respect to the 3/4 vs. 1/2 ton and diesel vs. gas, there seems to be 3 kinds of people who buy those trucks:

1. the guy who pulls a backhoe or other heavy equipment regularly (every other day)
2. the guy who pulls a super heavy boat regularly (25ft plus)
3. the guy who is just a diesel or 3/4 ton enthusiast but rarely puts anything in the bed or tows anything.

I spend a lot of time on the road and it seems like the enthusiast is much, much more prevalent than the other 2 buyers these days. Just my anecdotal observation and it doesn't matter to me what people spend their money on.

I love my truck, but could never financially justify more truck than I have. By more truck, I mean 3/4 or diesel. Now if Toyota came out with a super efficient model 1/2 ton, I'd be all ears.

Since this is a bit of a thread jack, I'll reiterate my support of the Tundra as a tow vehicle.