Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-03-2018, 04:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X9 w/MCX
Looks like I spoke too soon on the pump swap (see photos a few posts back in this thread). Here's the current issue: at 36 mph it runs fine for a bit (at 41psi, which is within the correct range for the 2003 mcx motor) then will drop to 20psi for a min ot two, then kind of energizes back to 41psi. It seems this may be a pressure leak discussed earlier in this thread, but the prior pump, which was also not factory, didn't seem to have this issue. It doesn't seem to be an issue at idle. So, question is, do I have a pump issue, or a seal/leak issue on the hose from the pump to the regulator inside the tank, or is it something else altogether?
Old 05-05-2018, 04:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X9 w/MCX
Conclusion: wasn't the new pump, was just low on gas. Gas guage says full at , at , at , and at empty...
Old 05-05-2018, 04:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by handleandrew View Post
Conclusion: wasn't the new pump, was just low on gas. Gas guage says full at , at , at , and at empty...
Sounds like you might need a new fuel sender then.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC X30 2008
Hi all. I might have a fuel pump issue, I'm not sure honestly - I'm not terribly handy with the boat. I have an 08 x30 FWIW, I don't have the ilmor engine, not sure if that makes a difference or not. Anyway, boat starts up fine every day, no issues. We can tube, surf, etc., no issues. Then we usually stop for an hour or so, turn off the boat, hang out, listen to tunes, and then when we start her back up - again, no issues with that, if I gun it, boat craps out at around 15mph. It still runs but won't go faster than 15mph or so. Then, the next day, all is well again. This seems to happen a few times last summer, maybe 5 or so.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 02 X-Star, 310 TBI
Hoping someone can give me some advice on fuel lines. I’m currently re-building the Carter pump assembly on our ‘02 X Star using a new Delphi fuel pump. As others have mentioned, the outlet from the fuel pump is slightly larger than the nipple at the pressure regulator. The factory fuel line running from the pump to the regulator appears to be some sort of plastic that was heat pressed onto the fittings at each end. It is not the corrugated line. Unfortunately, it isn’t going to be re-usable and my question is this: the factory line is curved, I’m assuming, to allow for the assembly to slide up and down. I may be completely wrong, but the plastic assembly the fuel pump sits in appears to be able to slide up and down the outer metal assembly. My assumption is that as fuel level gets lower, the inner plastic assembly (where the pump sits) slides down. The curve in the factory fuel line appears to allow it to coil up and then straighten out as the pump assembly slides down. The plan was to go with a submersible graded rubber fuel line, but my concern is the rigidity of this line will not allow for the inner plastic pump assembly to slide up and down as it appears to be intended.

Is this a legitimate concern, or am I overthinking this? I would love any feedback from anyone who has switched to rubber fuel line in their fuel pump assembly.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
I believe it is spring loaded to keep the bottom of the assembly pressed to the bottom of the tank to prevent fuel starvation.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 195
'08 Mcx

Just called dealer.....$980 for the assembly, damn.
I will probably go the Napa or Bosch route but I have yet to find a post confirming the '08 model. I'm sure it is the same but my time is limited and want to get it correct the first time. I can't really complain, 650 hours and it sits all winter without use these days. I bought the boat new in 2010 and this is the first issue I have had. I guess I need to start using it more
Old 06-11-2018, 02:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft X Star and 1992 MasterCraft ProStar 190
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/abt-cfd402
Old 06-15-2018, 01:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 195
Fuel pump replacement

So I ordered the complete assy from MC parts
The replacement was a Millennium pump replacing the Carter and the wiring harness converting the single pump to the dual pump. Easy swap with the exception of the expense....a little over $800
Thought I would just go with the recommended replacement since this is the only issue I have had in 10 years of ownership. Fired right up and am taking out tomorrow to test. I am optimistic that all is good.