Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-24-2018, 10:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
So what IS the new directive for Transmission fluid on a 1992 or older Prostar?

So, as a new thread.....

People hollering everything from "Help me Mommy: to "Help me Jesus" with the threads on transmission slippage.

MY case was that I got slippage under coming up to plane, others had it with towing, etc. Same issue, under load.

My fix was to drain and replace the old Mercon with Mecon 5 (V) and overfill a pint while hot.

No rebuild, just drain and replace. And overfill a touch, because I got the same slippage after rebuiiding both plates.

The new fluid is thinner, and science remains, these are pressure-driven transmissions.

Not rocket science, add a pint or two if you have to overfill, just don't blow your seals.

Hooking up a pressure kit to your tranny will cost bucks, and you will be low pressure. Plus, if your seals are bad you will see fluid in the bilge anyway. If that is the case, replace the seals.

Regards.

James
Old 04-25-2018, 08:42 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Did you consider that your pump may be worn. After speaking with ZF .. in my case.. there should be no slip with regular or synthetic blend fluid. 100% synthetic the manufacture said that the friction modifiers were not compatible with the older marine transmissions.

I see your back with some constructive critiscm

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2018, 06:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Mine slipped a bit. Sucked off some atf bottle of seafoam trans tune ran it hard for a bit then sucked that out for some new dex III. Like a champ.