Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 02-18-2018, 01:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Malibu 247
Why aren't there more DIY surf gates on Mastercrafts?

Might seem like a silly question, but why aren't more older Mastercraft boat owners adding a DIY surf gate system to their boats without surf tabs? (or even with tabs). No, I don't sell them.

I see tons of suck gates... Or a suck gate with tabs as well... But not many "permanent" powered gates. Seems to be easier and less expensive than add-on tabs, and if you did both you could even tune the wake somewhat.

Is it just a Mastercraft vs. Malibu deal? There were some early DIY gates a few years ago on Mastercrafts but I don't see many mods lately. Admittedly, I own an older Malibu now but grew up behind MCs. Between my crew I get to ride behind most boats. My buddy got a x45 last summer and we immediately started planning for a gate setup.

Just thinking out loud. I'm an advocate for DIY mods... that's all.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 MasterCraft Maristar 240sc 454HO
I am wanting to do a system on my MC 240SC eventually, deciding between gates or gen 2 type tabs. I have a Nauticurl for now. I've got a long list of projects I'm wanting to do. I'm on Wake Garage also as MC240, great site by the way. Lots of great diy projects, good info. I really liked the wake plate with exhaust that Jeffo did.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001, 205v
I tossed the idea around about making my own surf system as well. It just came down to time, money and not wanting to put more holes in the boat. I have 30$ wrapped up in my home made suck gate and it works great. I do however wish I did not have to jump in the water to take it off when we switch sides. I was also a little worried about how much structure there was to attach tabs to the back of my boat. 2001 205v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2018, 03:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 NXT22
I have the itch to get an 08 XStar but it is obviously not a surf boat. I wonder if a suckgate would help or if some added cash towards adding a surf system would be worth it.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterwake View Post
I have the itch to get an 08 XStar but it is obviously not a surf boat. I wonder if a suckgate would help or if some added cash towards adding a surf system would be worth it.
Go surf assist on the x stars are awesome

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-19-2018, 03:52 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterwake View Post
Yes and yes.

I've posted many pics of mine with the suction style. A mission delta is money on a star.

However I'll have gsa when I can afford it
Old 02-19-2018, 04:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Personally I don’t surf enough to warrant a permanently mounted surf gate. Just something to do if the water is sh!tty. And since the TN river is usually butter when we go (early weekend mornings or weekday evenings), surf conditions are rare. I’m no advanced wakeboarder by any means, but in my crew, it’s a crime to waste good water on surfing.

That being said, even if I surfed a lot, the benefits of a permantly mounted solution isn’t that great for my boat. It takes me 30 seconds to attach my DIY suck gate. No change in ballast, just throw the gate on and go. And stowing it isn’t an issue. It tucks in behind the driver seat, or if my boat is packed, I have a spot on the tower for it. I’m not going to drill holes below the waterline and make major modifications to save 30 seconds for surfing.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Malibu 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
I am wanting to do a system on my MC 240SC eventually, deciding between gates or gen 2 type tabs. I have a Nauticurl for now. I've got a long list of projects I'm wanting to do. I'm on Wake Garage also as MC240, great site by the way. Lots of great diy projects, good info. I really liked the wake plate with exhaust that Jeffo did.

Thanks. (Yeah, that Jeffo exhaust plate is cool for sure). There's some pretty good discussions about gates vs gsa out there. The general impression for most is that both work, but GSA requires more weight. A lot more weight on some hulls. I called Ryan at GSA (nice guy, great customer service too) and almost went that route but ultimately went with gates because they flat out work and much cheaper. Also, some guys (from Wake Garage) who have MBs were pulling their GSA off in favor of gates talked me out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKralk83 View Post
I tossed the idea around about making my own surf system as well. It just came down to time, money and not wanting to put more holes in the boat. I have 30$ wrapped up in my home made suck gate and it works great. I do however wish I did not have to jump in the water to take it off when we switch sides. I was also a little worried about how much structure there was to attach tabs to the back of my boat. 2001 205v

Not much force against the hull as far as strength needed... it'd work fine. The great part about a permanent system is the boat turns well in opposite direction (because gate closes) and its always ready to go like you said. Plus, they do work differently at the very edge of the transom vs forward on the hull some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote=dvsone79;1397141]Personally I don’t surf enough to warrant a permanently mounted surf gate. Just something to do if the water is sh!tty.

haha. I get it!

I'm just surprised since it's such an easy mod and surfing has become so popular. There is a difference between a suck gate and tabs or gates. Plus the automated controllers are now inexpensive (guy on Wake Garage does an arduino version for less than $100 bucks).

With so many beautiful older boats out there.... I think having a nice push button surf system is a great upgrade... tabs or gates. But the gates work so dang well, cheap and easy.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
I would definitely argue in the opposite direction of a gated system requires more weight. Every Malibu I’ve surfed with surfgate doesn’t have near the power/push of a tab system with equal weight.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
My X30 never needed one.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!