Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 01-29-2018, 03:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 PS 205
Best Surfboard for small wake

We have a 2000 DD PS 205. My daughter wanted to try wakesurfing last year so we got some ballast bags and a CWB Ride board to give it a try. She really liked it, however I'm not quite ready to move up to a V-drive. She looks like she can almost drop the rope, but I'm not sure if she'll be able to do much beyond that. Is there a better board that would allow her to progress over the next year or so while we decide if we want to move up to a better surf boat?

Below is a link to a short clip of her at the end of last summer. We had about 1800 lbs in the trunk/back seat area (4 different bags), ~400 in the bow, and a homemade suck gate. We weren't close to the rub rail yet, so I picked up a fat seat (1200-1500 lbs) over the winter and I'll move about 600-700 lbs to the rear locker and then move weight around the ski locker and bow to see if we can improve it any further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygd6ASbeEdY

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
IMO a better board is pretty subjective, sounds like you just want to drop the rope...

Maybe try a larger Volume board = more float to assist with smaller waves.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
She’s really close to dropping the rope - judging from the video she should be able to drop it in your current configuration with more practice. A larger volume board will provide for a larger margin of error (making it easier to stay in the sweet spot of the wave).

She also needs to learn to pump the board - to stay in sweet spot.

What will help tremendously is practice.

Ideally surfing ocean waves provides the best training (I became an infinitely better wake surfer after I learned to surf the ocean).
Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
She is already good to go per the video. She is surfing that entire clip as the rope stays slack.

Maybe move her forward foot a bit to the toe side and perhaps a bit more forward for additional speed and ease of staying down the line.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
I agree with all of the points above, and she could easily throw the rope on that board really soon. However as someone who used to ride the CWB board behind a direct drive 209, I will say that I moved to the larger Hyperlite Broadcast 5"4 and I really think it's the easiest board for anyone to learn how to throw the rope. If you really decide to buy a new board, this one is reasonably priced and incredibly easy to ride in my opinion. I've had riders on this board from 80 lb to 220 lb.

http://www.hyperlite.com/en/product-...s-broadcast-54

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2018, 07:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
I agree with all of the points above, and she could easily throw the rope on that board really soon. However as someone who used to ride the CWB board behind a direct drive 209, I will say that I moved to the larger Hyperlite Broadcast 5"4 and I really think it's the easiest board for anyone to learn how to throw the rope. If you really decide to buy a new board, this one is reasonably priced and incredibly easy to ride in my opinion. I've had riders on this board from 80 lb to 220 lb.

http://www.hyperlite.com/en/product-...s-broadcast-54

Good luck!
Iíll vouche for the ease of riding a broadcast. I went ropeless with myself and my friendís 6 y/o on the board with me (around 260# total) and Iíve only really been surfing regularly for 1 season.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X25 6.0 L / 2004 X-30 MCX(SOLD)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said, Hyperlite Broadcast is an easy one to learn on unless she is really small. We have one that we use for any beginner and every one in my family learned on it. I agree with the others that she is pretty much ropeless in the video, more weight forward would keep her in the pocket better, lean forward or move feet forward. Your wave looks pretty good for a direct drive.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 PS 205
Sounds like I can put the wallet away for a little while. She's not frustrated so I don't need to find a way to make it easier right now so I'll let her progress a bit more with the current board and see how far she gets this year.

Thanks everybody!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Malibu 247
Another vote for broadcast, get a used one, then move up to a faster board and she'll be addicted. Then tell us you won't be buying a V drive haha
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001, 205v
I used to surf the crap out of my DD nautique with my broadcast board before I bought a vdrive. 500lb bag on the surf side and 500lb bag on the back seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk