Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Xstar
If you have the attitude plate use it at 60%. It makes the wake super clean and similar to the old xstar with just a little bit more lip to it.

I run my with the plate plus 5-6 sacs and the wake is awesome. I have the weight 60-40 to the front. I ride at 78 feet and at around 24.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
hmm... if this is your first boat adding more weight then stock, i would do some research first.

you have to understand the relationship between wake size, wake shape, wake width, weight distribution, speed and line length. As you admitted, you're no pro so i would go ahead and ride at 65 ft, 21 mph with no ballast (maybe kgb full...). X25 really doesn't need alot of ballast to make a great wake. If you're coming up short from clearing the wake, shorten the line up a little or go faster (however, the latter makes the falls much worse). I wouldn't start adding any ballast or going any faster until you're completely comfortable going wake to wake on both your heels and your toes.

Alot of people develop really bad habits if they learn to ride on a big wake - you should understand proper form before hitting a big wake so you can maximize the wake and really take it big, instead of having poor form and using the wake to make up for it (i spent my first season wakeboarding behind a tracker fishing boat, 2nd behind a 79 stars n stripes).
Old 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
^^^ perfect advice.

I see way too many people convinced they need a bigger wake and/or more speed (me included) rather than focusing on fundamental skills. Its much easier to blame it on the equipment than to take ownership of your own performance. It happens in every sport.

The X-25 stock wake is good enough a small percentage of riders should "need" to load it up above factory ballast. A fundamentally sound rider should be able to do some pretty damn difficult tricks without having to do anything extra to the boat.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 500lbs of Lead.
willyt is bang on with his advice. kgrove is bang on too with his thoughts on the bigger wake.

My advice would be the same at willyt's, ride at 21MPh, 65ft rope (or even 60) and only KGB filled. This should be more than enough wake for doing W2W or even inverts.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
I agree....I have seen some crazy tricks pulled off behind my 78MC. There is not much of a wave there....all form.