Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 04-01-2018, 12:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x45
tow vehicle

hi all, new to the forum. Looking at finalizing the purchase of a 2014 x-55, starting to maybe over think my tow vehicle. I have a dodge ram 1500 with the hemi. Its a company vehicle so I don't have the option of upgrading to anything. We have a lake house about 2.5 hours away that we make 5-10 trips to during the summer but most of the towing is within 30 miles or so. Anyone towing a big boat with the hemi? or have any thoughts
Old 04-01-2018, 01:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I towed a Maristar 230 with a Silverado 1500 with the 4.8L V8 for two years. Bought the boat down near LA, towed it 500 miles home with no real issues. Our 'home' lake is about 30 miles away, and while it struggled to pull the hills, it still worked for us. No clue how much heavier the 55 is, but I would think your truck could pull it. Stopping might be a whole other story, as I know my boat definitely pushed the truck around a bit. Not bad, but I could see where in an emergency maneuver, the boat might have tried to pass me. I've since upgraded to a 3/4 ton and I hardly notice the boat.

FWIW, I added a larger transmission cooler and better brake pads to the 1500. Not sure the trans cooler helped much, but swapping out the brake pads for Hawk green pads improved stopping. I also replaced the stock 1200 lb rear leaf springs with five leaf 2000 lb units and that really helped settle the ride, and the truck felt more planted when towing.

No clue what your company would say about doing a few upgrades to the truck, but I can't imagine they'd be too bothered by you changing brake pads. Of course you might want to check and see if they're OK with you using a company truck to tow. They might not appreciate the potential liability if anything goes wrong while towing.

G
Old 04-01-2018, 09:17 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
If its a concern.. upgrade to electric brakes
.. easy add on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2018, 10:37 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x45
I figured it could handle it. I recently took a position that provides a truck. They are ok with me using to tow as long as I have a policy to cover the boat when towing. Down side to any upgrades is the truck gets replaced about every 2 years or so. I was thinking about adding some air bags to the rear suspension. Dodge went to a coil rear and its a squatter when I have a load in the back. Electric brakes do sound like a good upgrade for the trailer. Thanks for the input. I have a 7 hr ride home with it once I go pick it up. Waiting for all this grapy weather in the Midwest to go away and maybe some rain to rinse some salt all the roads.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
I had a 1500 Dodge with the 5.7. Tow package which provides the trans cooler. My truck did not have the new rear coil spring set up. My regular tow is an X2. Of course it handled the X2 easily. I did pull an X30 about 120 miles round trip. Pulled no problem and the dual axle trailer with 4 disc brakes was plenty safe feeling as there was not a big bump when the trailer surge brakes kicked in.
A couple 100$ in trailer pulling mods is nothing - you have a free truck!