Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Bouyhead's Avatar
Bouyhead Bouyhead is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Boat: 2008 22' Progression
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,767
Which Remanufactured Engine?

Might be in the market for a reman 351W Iv'e been looking at Jasper, Michiganmotorz, etc. Just looking for a little input if anyone has any expierience with any of the engine builders out there. Rapido Marine in FL. seems to be the cheapest? Looks like $1500 for a long block, all others seem to be in the ballpark of $2000-$2500

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
Might be in the market for a reman 351W Iv'e been looking at Jasper, Michiganmotorz, etc. Just looking for a little input if anyone has any expierience with any of the engine builders out there. Rapido Marine in FL. seems to be the cheapest? Looks like $1500 for a long block, all others seem to be in the ballpark of $2000-$2500

Thanks
There is no difference between a marine and auto rngine except brass freeze plugs.

I bought a short block for $1000 cash with brass plugs. Then added gt40p heads.

The long blocks come with heads. Make sure that the heads are not a total pos.


Here is an idea. Buy a short block 351 $1,200 probably, then bada$$ heads for $500 then a cam for $250 and that includes lifters and push rods. Get a marine gasket kit for $100.

$2000-2100 and you have a real nice engine. Top it off with a Edlebrock performer intake $250 and you will have 330hp. I have cam spec card and you can use it to order a cam from comp cams. 2 week turn around.


A member at our club has a jasper long block in his '93 190 1:1 and it is very much lacking power. It has no balls.

You need the good heads.....period drastic difference.

$1500 vs 2000 and kicking yourself forever knowing that this was your opportunity to have lots of power is not worth the savings.

The heads on the long block reman engines suck.

You also mention might be in the market. Take your engine out and have it freshened for $900. If you have gt40 or gt40p heads the valve job and refresh is $200 or so.

$1,500 keeping your existing engine is way better than the jasper setup.

Just ask phntmski about his engine. He loves it. I built it. If you don't build it yourself you are still better off letting the machine shop build it.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:13 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 17,636
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
There is no difference between a marine and auto rngine except brass freeze plugs.

I bought a short block for $1000 cash with brass plugs. Then added gt40p heads.

The long blocks come with heads. Make sure that the heads are not a total pos.


Here is an idea. Buy a short block 351 $1,200 probably, then bada$$ heads for $500 then a cam for $250 and that includes lifters and push rods. Get a marine gasket kit for $100.

$2000-2100 and you have a real nice engine. Top it off with a Edlebrock performer intake $250 and you will have 330hp. I have cam spec card and you can use it to order a cam from comp cams. 2 week turn around.


A member at our club has a jasper long block in his '93 190 1:1 and it is very much lacking power. It has no balls.

You need the good heads.....period drastic difference.

$1500 vs 2000 and kicking yourself forever knowing that this was your opportunity to have lots of power is not worth the savings.

The heads on the long block reman engines suck.

You also mention might be in the market. Take your engine out and have it freshened for $900. If you have gt40 or gt40p heads the valve job and refresh is $200 or so.

$1,500 keeping your existing engine is way better than the jasper setup.

Just ask phntmski about his engine. He loves it. I built it. If you don't build it yourself you are still better off letting the machine shop build it.
So that marine cam and other internals is all BS - so marinizing is brass plugs, marine cooling system and a marined tuned ECU for TBI/MPI? I thought they some how beefed up a few things they claim (marketing) for the stresses of marine life?
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
So that marine cam and other internals is all BS - so marinizing is brass plugs, marine cooling system and a marined tuned ECU for TBI/MPI? I thought they some how beefed up a few things they claim (marketing) for the stresses of marine life?
The cam has a certain lift and duration but the rest of the internals are not "beefed" up or made any different.

It is a huge marketing scam and is horse chit.

Indmar, PCM, crusader, etc took a auto engine put the marine cam and brass plugs in and badged a Chevy or Ford. It is a huge joke. Nothing inside such as crank, rods, pistons, bearings, oil pump, timing chain, etc are "marine". A marine cam only has a special lift and duration for mid range power. That is it.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 17,636
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
The cam has a certain lift and duration but the rest of the internals are not "beefed" up or made any different.

It is a huge marketing scam and is horse chit.

Indmar, PCM, crusader, etc took a auto engine put the marine cam and brass plugs in and badged a Chevy or Ford. It is a huge joke. Nothing inside such as crank, rods, pistons, bearings, oil pump, timing chain, etc are "marine". A marine cam only has a special lift and duration for mid range power. That is it.
Thanks...I love all this information here... -
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
There is no difference between a marine and auto rngine except brass freeze plugs.

I bought a short block for $1000 cash with brass plugs. Then added gt40p heads.

The long blocks come with heads. Make sure that the heads are not a total pos.


Here is an idea. Buy a short block 351 $1,200 probably, then bada$$ heads for $500 then a cam for $250 and that includes lifters and push rods. Get a marine gasket kit for $100.

$2000-2100 and you have a real nice engine. Top it off with a Edlebrock performer intake $250 and you will have 330hp. I have cam spec card and you can use it to order a cam from comp cams. 2 week turn around.


A member at our club has a jasper long block in his '93 190 1:1 and it is very much lacking power. It has no balls.

You need the good heads.....period drastic difference.

$1500 vs 2000 and kicking yourself forever knowing that this was your opportunity to have lots of power is not worth the savings.

The heads on the long block reman engines suck.

You also mention might be in the market. Take your engine out and have it freshened for $900. If you have gt40 or gt40p heads the valve job and refresh is $200 or so.

$1,500 keeping your existing engine is way better than the jasper setup.

Just ask phntmski about his engine. He loves it. I built it. If you don't build it yourself you are still better off letting the machine shop build it.
You mentioned that the heads suck- wouldn't that be due to them not necessarily being the same as the existing ones and different versions fitting on many blocks? This is a good argument for freshening up an existing engine (as long as the place guarantees the same engine is returned to the customer and the old one wasn't treated like a farm animal), but I don't know if using a Jasper or some other reman is always a bad thing for most people when they won't be doing the swap. It's fast, easy to swap the accessories and comes with a warranty- I don't know of many local shops that will offer the same when they go through an old engine. The cost you show is what you can pay but you have connections that are unavailable to many others. You can't compare the cost for you and what someone will pay to have someone else do this for them- it's like wholesale vs retail. As in any type of work, the ones who can do a lot of the work and make parts choices can save a lot of money. Another problem for someone doing this for the first time is finding a good shop- they all say they're good, but we all know they're not. Finding out the hard way that a shop isn't doing good work is a good way for someone to come to the conclusion that they'll never touch a car or boat again.

After working on boats in this state- seeing what some of the other dealers were doing and hearing what boat owners said about their experiences with some of the other dealers at the time (late-'90s into the early 2000s), I would have a hard time trusting them to work on my boat. I have enough trouble trusting anyone to work on my vehicles as it is.

FWIW, all of the Jasper engines I installed worked very well- I don't know why the one in the club member's boat sucks. Might have something to do with what was spec'd (info given by whoever was doing the work, whoever took the info, who filled the order, what was picked, etc) or it may have to do with what was being done at the time. Could it be a fuel system problem?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:00 AM
TxsRiverRat TxsRiverRat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
(as long as the place guarantees the same engine is returned to the customer and the old one wasn't treated like a farm animal)

Down here in Texas, folks are very respectful of farm animals - even down there inTyler, they kiss em on both cheeks before and after.... Can't ask for much more than that
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 17,636
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Down here in Texas, folks are very respectful of farm animals - even down there inTyler, they kiss em on both cheeks before and after.... Can't ask for much more than that



Txs.... ahh..what we learn about you...

__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post



Txs.... ahh..what we learn about you...

Well no one ever knows what rat will say. He lives in his own special world.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,387
JimN

You hit the nail right on the head. Thank you.


Let me elaborate. The jasper engine is put together very well and it has been reliable. It just doesn't have the power. The club member that I'm talking about had a '93 190 1:1 285hp. He cracked his block during a winter one year, winter skier and rolled the dice. He gambled and lost. Anyway he had a jasper installed. It was like the engine did not have anything HO on it. Gt40 heads were gone I'm sure a different cam but when you throw that kind of cash then you should expect factory kind of power. Not the power of running a 3 legged race with a partner that has a broken leg.


Second off. I have connections yes but my cost is very close to retail. Where I save the most is doing the work myself vs paying someone. I'm very aware of the bad wrap that mechanics get of being halfa$$ cheaters and liars. I would be in the same boat if I moved across the country, but that is where you stop by several shops (non machine shop) and ask who they recommend for the best work. Doing so will lead you pretty straight. The guy referring you pays the machine shop and his dollar means something to him, so I'm sure the referral would be pretty good.


Thank you also explaining the automotive Ford assembly line process to these guys. Folks wanna just argue and beat a dead horse. When someone who has been around as long as you have and has earned the boat genious title, people tend to agree and move on.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 04-12-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 AM.


2018