Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 22' Progression
Another way of thinking about "finishing the turn". The ski should be completely under the ski rope pointed across course before you start your lean/pull. Letting the ski finish creates more angle and more angle gets you there earlier. Longline course skiers (15 off) at slower speeds (26-32 mph) should pull/lean THRU the second wake. Changing edges at the second wake is a more advanced, shorter rope technique. I attached two pics to try and clarify. The dude is a newbie and the girl Samantha Duamala is a pro just trying to help you visualize. They both have two hands on the handle but Samantha's ski is almost under the rope and she is still not leaning or pulling yet, the ski is still moving in the right direction. Hope this helps.

Name:  IMG_0012.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  117.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0013.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  58.2 KB
Old 02-15-2018, 09:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
Another way of thinking about "finishing the turn". The ski should be completely under the ski rope pointed across course before you start your lean/pull. Letting the ski finish creates more angle and more angle gets you there earlier. Longline course skiers (15 off) at slower speeds (26-32 mph) should pull/lean THRU the second wake. Changing edges at the second wake is a more advanced, shorter rope technique. I attached two pics to try and clarify. The dude is a newbie and the girl Samantha Duamala is a pro just trying to help you visualize. They both have two hands on the handle but Samantha's ski is almost under the rope and she is still not leaning or pulling yet, the ski is still moving in the right direction. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the visual Buoyhead, this is great.

You may not remember the time when you DRASTICALLY more confident on your onside when "finishing the turn." That's where I am right now. I guess I just need more passes to gain the confidence.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
Great points made by bouyhead in letting the ski come under the rope before starting your pull. This was pretty important in my skiing which still isn’t great, but all too often at the apex of the turn was reaching back for the handle, coming out of position, and pointing my ski down course instead of across course which is crucial for getting to the next buoy early.

Another way to think of it is skiing back to the handle. On your offside instead of turning and reaching back for the handle with your left hand, keep your left hand by your left hip and as you finish the turn ski your hip/hand up to meet the handle instead of reaching up for it. Ultimately you want to keep the handle low with your elbows on your vest when you’re pulling through the wakes and this helps you begin in better body position.

Speaking of off side body position, try googling “slalom pull out drill” for practicing the off side position and gaining some muscle memory outside of the course.

Did you decide to keep the boat? Definitely tough the first summer, but things got much easier for us the following summer. Take up Arics offer to drive and convince his girlfriend to help babysit as mentioned before! I find driving through the course just as much fun, maybe even more fun than skiing sometimes. There’s definitely a lot to driving to give a perfect pull and being in sync with the skier.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:56 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiWest View Post
On your offside instead of turning and reaching back for the handle with your left hand, keep your left hand by your left hip and as you finish the turn ski your hip/hand up to meet the handle instead of reaching up for it. Ultimately you want to keep the handle low with your elbows on your vest when you’re pulling through the wakes and this helps you begin in better body position.
Wowwwww. I love this! Might be the best offside advice yet. It sounds like it FORCES you to get comfortable to finish that offside turn by not being able to reach for the handle, because if you do reach for it then the ski goes down the course.

Quote:
Speaking of off side body position, try googling “slalom pull out drill” for practicing the off side position and gaining some muscle memory outside of the course.
yes! I've seen this drill. I will practice

Quote:
Did you decide to keep the boat? Definitely tough the first summer, but things got much easier for us the following summer. Take up Arics offer to drive and convince his girlfriend to help babysit as mentioned before! I find driving through the course just as much fun, maybe even more fun than skiing sometimes. There’s definitely a lot to driving to give a perfect pull and being in sync with the skier.
Good idea, I need to get Aric in my back pocket!!! Yep, for now, keeping the ole 197.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Yes.... But........ your turn should finish at the ball, not begin or be in progress (at the ball). All of that takes place prior to the ball. Let the ski work, complete the turn approaching the ball, pull and come back across....Don't pull past the second wake...

Time on the water is the recipe. Slalom courses are humbling....
at his speed and length if he finished at the ball and loaded, he could NEVER load through both wakes. He doesn't really have to finish till halfway between the ball and the boat buoys.. The key is not to load the rope till the ski has established sufficient angle to allow a decent preturn at the next ball.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:46 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
at his speed and length if he finished at the ball and loaded, he could NEVER load through both wakes. He doesn't really have to finish till halfway between the ball and the boat buoys..
why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
The key is not to load the rope till the ski has established sufficient angle to allow a decent preturn at the next ball.

I thought we were on the right path with fundamentals.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
watch some videos nobody finishes their turn and loads the line at the buoy.. always way after. It is nearly impossible to hold the lean all the way from the buoy line past the second wake.. nor is there any need to. Plus you generate WAY too much speed assuming you could hold that long IMO don't obsess on when you finish the turn it.s THAT you finish the turn before loading the line. Are you on Brent Mcnichols FB page waterski Hub. They always have lots of good slalom video Note when the line is loaded

Last edited by tommurtha; 03-21-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:59 PM
MC Devotee

ya so ignoring the buoys and doing drills is super important for a beginner. Wish I listened to everyone's advice on that one
Old 03-26-2018, 09:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
When you are getting wide to start your offside turn through the red gates, you want you want lean over or fall over while you still have slack correct?

Falling over on my offside is just not in my comfort zone, and i need to build that comfort.
So I'd visualize this differently, nothing about skiing is falling over or falling on slack. When you are pulled out to the left getting ready to go through the gate balls there should not be a loose line.

Where that looseness is coming from is that you are skiing out/up on the boat you stopped going out and went narrow to the boat which causes the line to go loose, basically you go from skiing out to skiing in, and we don't want to start in.

This is exactly the same problem when you turn in at a ball and have slack line to absorb - the path went from going outwards and forwards to turning inwards and you've skied towards the boat.

Instead we want to make sure that we keep the direction out/up on the boat, then ski across up on the boat and repeat, look up drills like whips for this.

But you should feel more confident if you stop trying to fall over, you can "increase your lean" all the way through the wakes, but it will all be in control.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:54 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
So I'd visualize this differently, nothing about skiing is falling over or falling on slack. When you are pulled out to the left getting ready to go through the gate balls there should not be a loose line.

Where that looseness is coming from is that you are skiing out/up on the boat you stopped going out and went narrow to the boat which causes the line to go loose, basically you go from skiing out to skiing in, and we don't want to start in.

This is exactly the same problem when you turn in at a ball and have slack line to absorb - the path went from going outwards and forwards to turning inwards and you've skied towards the boat.

Instead we want to make sure that we keep the direction out/up on the boat, then ski across up on the boat and repeat, look up drills like whips for this.

But you should feel more confident if you stop trying to fall over, you can "increase your lean" all the way through the wakes, but it will all be in control.
great advice, thank you!!