Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 11:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Traeger family here for the last 3-4 years. Love it for everything except grilling steaks. Steaks need hot charcoal or gas. Only thing I will emphasize is to clean it often (vacuum out the ashes around and in burner). I do it after approx 3-5 uses. Can get some nasty fires if not cleaned.

Have friends with Green Mountains and they love them too.

I'm always late to the technology party and got a Traeger about 10 years after they were "cool". Big regret not having it years and years ago.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 MasterCraft ProStar 205 LTR 330HP
love my Green Mountain
Old 08-13-2018, 02:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
might also cruise thru this thread about smokers ... http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=76149
Old 08-13-2018, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
Definitely get a pellet smoker. All brands have pros and cons, I went with a green mountain Daniel boone wifi model because of cost to feature ratio. Love it. Being able to monitor the temps of food and adjust as needed from out on the boat is awesome.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-45
Love my Traeger(s). Have one at home and one at the lake! Great for the lake!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Big Green Egg fan here.
It's not as "vacuum cleaner" simple as the pellet smokers, but it is also a ton more versatile. Honestly, if I was considering a pellet smoker I might just go full braindead and get an electric smoker.

Get a BBQ Guru controller for the big green egg and it is nearly as "set it and forget it"
Old 08-13-2018, 04:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I bought "the good one" before they were bought out... I love it.. but it is really a tool to use when you want to hang out and drink beer talk smart and solve all the worlds problems... you can grill on it too... it is a mostly set it and leave it sorta like the green egg but not as clumsy and you can just pull it around...

I doubt you can go wrong with any of the higher end ones that is for sure..

Enjoy your new toy... the YS640 you can get at a local shop we have 2 places that carry them here in MN.. and if worst case I would go visit my buddy in MO and pick one up.... I am probably going to go with the YS for my next one.. it looks awfully nice!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 MC 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Big Green Egg fan here.
It's not as "vacuum cleaner" simple as the pellet smokers, but it is also a ton more versatile. Honestly, if I was considering a pellet smoker I might just go full braindead and get an electric smoker.

Get a BBQ Guru controller for the big green egg and it is nearly as "set it and forget it"

I have a BBQ Cyber Guru with blower for the Vision version of a Big Green Egg that Iím thinking of selling. Iíve used it one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 08:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
I have two smokers and my wife won't touch them. She cooks on the gas BBQ all year round . You wouldn't eat anything I cook. My specialty is Hot dogs or P.b. sandwich.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 NXT22
this is Deja vu.... weíve been talking about pellet grills for the last 3 months at work. Started with one guy buying one, and before we knew it, 6 of us bought a damn pellet grill.

I love mine. Camp chef woodwind. Different brand than traeger. Price and some other features led me to camp chef. Ash clean out, the ability to slide the head deflector for direct heat, grill box accessory if I ever wanted it, etc.... but I know guys who bought traeger and love it. Both brands do great job.

Iím new to these pellet grills, but in the last 3 months Iíve become a smoked meat junkie. As matter of fact just I just smoked a7lb pork shoulder yesterday that will feed me for the next 3 days. I usually hate cooking because I never think my food tastes good. But now I love my grub.