Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2018, 11:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
[quote=FoggyNogginz;1431845]Good luck! I'm 47 and my GF thinks I act 25. Personally, I think that makes me more fun. I have jacked my back up multiple times, and PT with exercise and core strength are critical to recovery and sustainability. I hope it all works out for you.

Disclosure:. Three slalom sets yesterday, and I could barely get into my truck this morning. LOL. Won't lie....I love it.[/QUOTE]

Luckily I've been married to the same woman for 30 years who understands that statement. She might be thinking it, but she has never told me to slow down. Not even after watching me crawl on my knees for two days.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
PSA for anyone reading this who doesn’t have back problems. Get on that physical therapy (aka “exercise”) early. As in, right now. If you aren’t doing things to strengthen yourself and stay fit, you’re doing it wrong and back/knee/shoulder/(insert whatever joint you want) pain is going to happen sooner rather than later. I bet if you ask any of these guys, they will tell you they wish they started a long time ago. Not only does PT help alleviate some of the pain, swelling, and other issues, it prevents them as well.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:25 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
I usually don't talk about myself much, but this thread has compelled me to chime in because I have to deal with this topic every single day.

Memorial Day 2013 I ruptured a disk in my back; L2-L3. That is a location that I'm told by my Chiropractor is less than 1% of disk ruptures. 95% is L5-S1, 4% is L4-L5, and the other 1% is spread out among the rest of the 'L' locations. This was not a one time acute event, I had not been smart lifting things for a long time, now I get to pay for it. I had pain down to my knee until the beginning of July 2013. Had an MRI done to find the problem and was told "seen better, seen worse". The pain down to my knee slowly subsided which saved me having surgery. End of July I was told to start back into my regular activities to see if the pain down the leg returned. It didn't and that saved me from surgery. 2013 was a year of little skiing followed by days of paying for it afterwards.

Summer 2014 came and I started skiing again.....and paying for it each time. I was stretching to stay loose but it didn't matter. Summer 2015 came...same as 2014, payed for it each time I went out but to a little lesser degree.

Then I started to get serious about rehabbing, stretching, and strengthening. Summer 2016 came and there was a huge difference. I didn't pay for each time I skiied, footed, wakeboard, etc. 2017 was good (as it could have been recovering from fractured patella) and 2018 has been great. Since the winter of 2015-16 to present I have about 10-15 minutes of stretching, yoga, core strengthening that I do EVERY day as soon as I get up. If I don't do it......I can tell. I also go to the Chiropractor once a month whether I need it or not. This is a HUGE pia every morning, but I have no choice. Keeping my core strong and flexible has been key to being able to keep going. I didn't see much difference until I started focusing on core strength, so those of you that have mentioned this back up what I have experienced.

When they tell you to lift with your legs instead of your back, for crying out loud, heed it.

Oh, and just to add to the nature of the OP's thread, I've been told I need to act my age as well. Someday I'll stop skiing and playing soccer........just not anytime soon.

Last edited by captain planet; 08-01-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS197
captain planet is spot on! While I'm not as old as some of you (31) I still have had my share of annoying back pain. Its usually nothing too acute but enough to interfere with my day. Keeping the core strong and stretching has been crucial. I worked my way up to a 4 minute plank that I do a couple times a week following by some stretching right when I get up. Nothing has helped as much as that has!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
I didn't think the xray looked that bad either. Looked a little compressed down in the 4-5 area. I'm 36 and had back surgery at 32. Slalom is hard on the back if you don't exercise. Same disc I had trimmed bulged again about a year after surgery along with the disc below it. Sucks, but I guess it's just the hand I've been dealt.... Anyways, inversion table helps when it flares. And the only way I've been able to have a consistent pain free life is exercise everyday. You'll just have to find what works for you. For me it's stretching and 50 pushups. I occasionally do another where you extend opposite arm and leg that helps when I'm feeling rough. Stinking core exercises suck but it works.

Get some physical therapy before surgery, if you get a good therapist they'll figure out what will work for you. Wish I could've went this route, heck I couldn't even crawl! I was literally paralyzed and the only position that was somewhat comfortable was flat on my back. Bad thing is I always tried to take care of my back.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2018, 09:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I wear one of those Ace braces that wraps around your torso. It helps surprisingly more than you think it would.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2018, 07:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
Been going to Chiropractor for 30 plus yrs. His office was at the other end of the lake. When I was young I used to ski down to the ramp and limp over to his office. After appointment was over he would say " now stay off those skiis ". So I would barefoot or kneeboard back to the cottage. I live with 2 deteriorating discs in lower back and am very careful with everything I do. Back stretches and core strength training especially doing planks works wonders for me. My granddaughter just turned 16. We both have the same numbers.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Saw the spine Dr. yesterday and she listened to my symptoms and used the x-rays from the urgent care office. I’m able to bend forward and reach for my toes with no pain, but if I’m standing upright and try to lean backward any amount, I start to feel a sharp pain closer to my pelvic area and to the left a little. She was able to press the area with her fingers and verify the location. She said that my disks look good but I do have some mild deterioration between the posterior bones of the spine, which she called a “joint issue” (I have pain but no numbness or tingling). The plan is to finish my meds and take it easy for 3 weeks before a decision is made for the MRI.

I know that my back and leg muscles have become weak due to the meniscus tear in my knee. I can no longer due squats or ride my bicycle and I’m aware that I use my lower back to lift rather than my legs. Since I go to the gym a few times a week, she advised me to do more leg/back exercises as long as I feel no pain. She gave me some simple exercises/stretches to do at home for the 3 week resting period, and I plan to take it easy because we have a 3 hour flight to Denver next week for my son’s wedding. In recent years I can’t sit in a chair unless I have good lumbar support, which I plan to take on the plane. I can see myself getting stuck in an airplane seat or having to crawl into the terminal.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2018, 08:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
for some immediate relief, check out Airrosti. as I stated earlier, it's combination PT/Chiropractor/deep tissue stretching, they will also give you exercises to do between appointments that work miracles.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Find a new physician. Seriously, find one who understands that as we age we slow down and take longer to recover but there is little we can't do. My physician, in his late 60's, still waterskis and up until he broke his pelvis and his family made him stop, raced snowmobiles. He treats me with the long term goal of getting me back to a highly active lifestyle.