Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
jkski- I don't think I have ever worked on a skidoo. It's probably just unbolt the cover, pull the recoil (watch out for the spring!!!!(read the manual) reset and bolt it back up.

FWIW- It's a good idea.

When I bought my Arctic Cat ZR900 (Two cyl.) new, I bought a new rope the same day. Starting that badarse first thing in the AM in -30 temps wasn't easy on the rope the first pull or two. You just never know.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski
As for the recoil, I'm thinking better safe than sorry, so I'll look at my manula tonight and see just what I am in for..just thought maybe one of you guys had done this before and could shed some light on it.
I did do that on my son's Viper. It was hard on his sled, only because the underhood area is stuffed to the nuts with the triple-pipe setup and the silencer, and getting those things in and out is like a Chinese ring-puzzle. Once they were out, however, pulling the recoil was four bolts and about 10 minutes. Your stock pipes are going to be easier to deal with and I'd guess pulling your recoil ought to be a pretty easy job.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 XT23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
After the last few times I've been to the UP, having groomers with one or less training sessions doesn't surprise me at all..

Do you have a "schedule" they would like you to follow?

I think the problem with the U.P. is that they have so much snow it is too easy for the moguls to reappear. I found that if the trail does not have time to set-up the snow that just filled the holes is easily pushed back out. My route has an 18 miles stretch of railroad grade and on the south trip the drag was doing a great job filling everything in. On the way back north it looked like I had not done anything because of the heavy traffic. Apparently there is only so much that can be done with a lot of traffic

The club has someone grooming every night to make the trails as smooth as possible. Friday is my night

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB
I rode the trails around Minocqua and Lake Tom all weekend Fri AM through last night.....definite kudos to the groomer drivers....rides from AM through mid-afternoon were very smooth!!

What trail segments did you groom?
Glad to hear you had some nice trails! My route goes out Hwy. 70 west, then all of the Bearskin Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkoehler
Sorry, there are strict rules on the sharing of secret spots!
It is funny you mention that ERK......how many people have YOU taken to Twin Lakes? I showed you that in confidence that you would not be taking 1000's of people up there to pack down MY powder . I am glad I did not waste your time this weekend.....my sled gets 5mpgs . I rode from Minocqua to St. Germain and almost ran out of gas. A 25 mile range (without gas caddy) is not going to get me very far. I think there are some adjustments that need to be made

2017 XT23

40 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 01-02-2008, 01:42 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
Bigmac- Have you ever had to jump start your old one?
No, never. And that Vector was carburetted, sometimes took some grinding if it had been sitting for a few days. This Apex is a fuelie. It kicks over in a split second, as I noted this morning at -15 F.

My big challenge with this Apex GT is getting the suspension set up. My dealer has a guy on retainer that lives in Brainerd, some nationally-ranked Yammie snocrosser, that will come over and set it up for me. I had originally declined that service that was part of the sale, thinking "how hard can it be?". Well, between the clickers, transfer, damping, rebound, preload, and the handlebar-based electronic adjustment, I've finally decided I'm baffled, and I was in there today and took them up on the offer (was in buying a Tall windshield to replace the one that came with the machine..gettin' too old for those skimpy OEM windys on these GRRR machines).

Also ordered a set of Slydog Powderhound skis - the hot ticket these days, I'm told.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 XT23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
(was in buying a Tall windshield to replace the one that came with the machine..gettin' too old for those skimpy OEM windys on these GRRR machines).

Also ordered a set of Slydog Powderhound skis - the hot ticket these days, I'm told.

My last two sleds were REV's with basically no windshield and I rarely get cold on them. When I rode a friend's 2006 Apex GT I was amazed at how cold my chest got. It was like the windshield was funneling the cold air on my chest. Other than that it was a fun sled(except in the powder)

I also heard Slydog skis are great. I was thinking of going with the C&A's again...but may have to try the Powderhounds

2017 XT23

40 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdude
I think the problem with the U.P. is that they have so much snow it is too easy for the moguls to reappear. I found that if the trail does not have time to set-up the snow that just filled the holes is easily pushed back out. My route has an 18 miles stretch of railroad grade and on the south trip the drag was doing a great job filling everything in. On the way back north it looked like I had not done anything because of the heavy traffic. Apparently there is only so much that can be done with a lot of traffic

The club has someone grooming every night to make the trails as smooth as possible. Friday is my night

Glad to hear you had some nice trails! My route goes out Hwy. 70 west, then all of the Bearskin Trail

It is funny you mention that ERK......how many people have YOU taken to Twin Lakes? I showed you that in confidence that you would not be taking 1000's of people up there to pack down MY powder . I am glad I did not waste your time this weekend.....my sled gets 5mpgs . I rode from Minocqua to St. Germain and almost ran out of gas. A 25 mile range (without gas caddy) is not going to get me very far. I think there are some adjustments that need to be made
Uh oh...........someones busted!!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:46 PM
MC Platinum

duplicate post

Last edited by bigmac; 01-02-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:47 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdude
My last two sleds were REV's with basically no windshield and I rarely get cold on them. When I rode a friend's 2006 Apex GT I was amazed at how cold my chest got. It was like the windshield was funneling the cold air on my chest. Other than that it was a fun sled(except in the powder)

I also heard Slydog skis are great. I was thinking of going with the C&A's again...but may have to try the Powderhounds
I'm heading out to Montana in a couple of weeks. The Apex is no powder sled, but I'm prepared to rent if the snow's too deep. Probably go for a Rev something-or-other this year if I do...my experience with 600HO and M7 has been disappointing.

My son and I went into the dealer the other day planning to get me a Nytro or a Vector, but I looked hard at a Rev X with that 800R engine. He and I test rode about 5 different sleds up and down the Paul Bunyan Trail, including that one. It was a very nice machine, and definitely would have been my second choice. In the end it just didn't do it for me after riding that Apex, but really a nice sled.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
It is deep West. Just got back from two weeks of sledding in the very Northern tip of Idaho. It was at least 4 feet of bottomless powder which means you get stuck often and alot and it takes a good 45 minutes to get unstuck. We couldn't get above tree line as it was too deep and the sleds would just stop and trench. Made for some fun riding. I have a few stuck pics too which I will upload soon. Yes that is the new Yamaha Nytro mtn sled.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
This happened a lot. Stuck deep from trenching. This is a pic of my bro in-law and his in-law and the Yamaha Nytro MTN stuck deep. That sled is one heavy sled. We pulled it out everyday from the ditch as it got stuck most often. Here it was too deep and it just trenched.

We had a newer Rev 800, a couple of new Yama Phazers, a new Nytro, and my RMK 700 and the Nytro had much more torque then any of the other sleds easily. The Nytro was a powerhouse but it also got stuck the most as it has stock mtn track. My RMK 700 had top speed but the Nytro was almost equal.

Last edited by Roonie's; 01-07-2008 at 02:57 PM.