Go Back   TeamTalk > News & Information > Team Talk Forum Help- Forum Issues Only

Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 AM
bryan.schieck

Sputtering, Intermittent Power Loss (Hesitation) then fine & repeat

Hi guys, I have a 2003 X9, MCX, 690 hours.

Has run amazing all summer however lately experiencing very random intermittent power loss or hesitation (sputtering??) combined with a check engine light that blinks below 3,000 RPM and comes on solid above 3,000 RPM.

If we turn the boat off and let sit, typically it will run perfectly for a random bit and then repeat. I had it into the MC dealer and they could not identify the code, said it was more of a phantom code than anything else and said all vitals checked out. Of course, also when they ran the engine everything ran perfect.

Hoping someone might be able to offers some advice! We're pretty much done our time on the water here in Canada but would love to get this sorted out before we winterize and put away.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 09-24-2017, 10:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what it's reading when it starts acting up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
phantom code... that's a good one!!! what was the code... 2003 - mostly likely a failing fuel pump... you have the luxury of putting on a fuel pressure gauge very easily... do that and recreate situation.

what code was it.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:40 PM
bryan.schieck

ok, I will check the fuel pressure that seems to make sense I guess I just thought when the fuel pump went it would die completely. Is checking the pressure something I can do fairly easily and then bring with me on the water for the next time it acts up? I'm concerned with taking to the mechanic since its so intermittent.

As for the code, I'm not sure, we took it to Mastercraft the first time the check engine light came on (again below 3,000 RPM blinking and above solid)...that's when they told me that it was "phantom code" and I never took down from them what it was.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:02 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
rent a fuel pressure guage from autozone - advance auto - on your module the pump sometimes gives you the luxury of a warning.

Tags
check engine light, intermittent