Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Austin/San Antonio Trip Advice

My wife and I are planning a little last minute trip for our Anniversary at the end of the month and we decided to head to Austin and San Antonio for a long get away.

I was hoping I some of the local team talk guys could provide us with some advice of places to eat(best Tex-Mex and nice place for Anniversary Dinner), things to do, etc. while in both spots.

In Austin, I think were staying at an Air BnB near 6th street for a reference as to where we will be. We haven't booked a room in San Antonio yet but plan on staying near the River walk (open to Recommendations)

We would like to go to a winery in Austin, so any advice for the best ones to go would be great. Im sure this will be an all day drinking event lol...

Were going to the Alamo is while in SA even though I'm being told its a big let down, but as a the Childhood Dave Crockett lover, I have to go see it.

Anything else you can think of please let me know. We will be there from July 25th to the 29th.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 XT23 just traded the 2004 XSTAR, first was a prostar 190
I can't speak for Austin I go there twice per year because I have to! lol If you like history you will appreciate the Alamo but yes it is not huge or anything like that, it is just a historical marker if you will. Might as well stay downtown on the riverwalk if going there, you will be close. I suggest getting the hotel booked soon especially if staying on the weekend they fill up fast. Placio Del Rio, Hyatt, Marriott all good places.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 XT23 just traded the 2004 XSTAR, first was a prostar 190
https://www.google.com/search?q=st+m...hrome&ie=UTF-8

St. Mary's Street or the Riverwalk for the nightlife.

Mi Tierras for mexican food.

Last edited by mastercraftka; 07-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
You’re going to have to travel outside of Austin to find the winery’s, Fredericksburg isn’t that far away. Jester King has a new brewery if you decide to go that route. Day drinking and bar hopping down Rainey is always a fun experience and a few blocks from sixth. Lake Austin and Hula Hut are about 3 miles from sixth street as well.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 MasterCraft MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
Lake Austin and Hula Hut are about 3 miles from sixth street as well.
I wouldn't hit up Hula Hut for food in Austin, though. There are soooooo many better options.
2017 B1G Champions
Old 07-10-2018, 03:06 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmothy07 View Post
I wouldn't hit up Hula Hut for food in Austin, though. There are soooooo many better options.
Agreed. But jalapeño ranch with chips and a drink combined with the view makes for a nice stop. Can’t remeber the last time I actually ordered food there.

So many good places to eat around here it’s hard to suggest anything. Good problem to have.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 MasterCraft MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
Agreed. But jalapeño ranch with chips and a drink combined with the view makes for a nice stop. Can’t remeber the last time I actually ordered food there.

So many good places to eat around here it’s hard to suggest anything. Good problem to have.
Very true. I'll give it a shot though...

I'd suggest Stiles Switch BBQ on N Lamar unless you want to wait in a multi-hour line for something famous like Franklin.

For Tex Mex, I'd hit up Trudy's (any location).

If you're looking for a hole in the wall spot, hit up Enchiladas y Mas on Anderson. Dump of a place, but holy crap their margaritas are delicious and super strong, the food is delicious, and the salsa is anywhere from hot to melt-your-face-hot. Love that spot.

For a view and a brewery, hit up the Oasis Brewing Company. Their taproom/dining/patio overlook Lake Travis. Pretty good beer, and a decent kitchen too. I'd avoid The Oasis restaurant in the same development though, the view is amazing but the food is awful.

As for San Antonio, I know nothing
2017 B1G Champions
Old 07-10-2018, 03:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Why no love for El Arroyo...?

Old 07-10-2018, 04:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 X2
A couple of dining options that are off the beaten path with regard to chains, etc.

Barley Swine
https://barleyswine.com/

Eden East
https://edeneastaustin.com/springdale/

Both are a type of farm to table type, so "craft food" so to speak

If you are in the mood for BBQ, I'll second Stiles Switch, good food and in the heart of a rejuvenated area of ATX.

As far as entertainment -
- State Capital Tour if you are into that sort of thing
- Segway tour of Downtown - interestingly enough, did this a few years back and was alot more fun than it sounds...
- Congress Ave bridge at dusk to see the bats
- Duck Tour
- Paddle board on Lady Bird lake (Town lake to locals...)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 PM
MC Devotee

Stiles is good but I was not a fan of their sauce. Most ppl in our group loved the sauce, I just prefer something thicker with more kick. They are just down the street from me and still get my business.

Good BBQ close to downtown would be Kerlin or LA BBQ. Slight edge to Kerlin due to their blue cheese coleslaw. Their kolaches sell out quick so plan ahead if you want some for breakfast.

Lambert’s BBQ is also a favorite of mine and walking distance from sixth.