Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Connection points on starter solenoid

I'm replacing the existing starter on my 94 PS190 with 350 TBI with a new Indmar starter (Part No. 573002). I believe the existing starter is an older style and the new starter is a newer style.

Below are photos of the connections at the solenoids of both starters. What is the difference between the two smaller connections on the new starter and how do I know which one I should connect to?

Existing starter being replaced with boots on connections pulled back

Name:  rsz_existing_starter_solenoid.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  133.5 KB

New starter (arrived with white plastic cover on one of the two smaller terminals)

Name:  rsz_new_starter_solenoid.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  139.2 KB

Last edited by lake weir skier; 04-20-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
I'm replacing the existing starter on my 94 PS190 with 350 TBI with a new Indmar starter (Part No. 573002). I believe the existing starter is an older style and the new starter is a newer style.

Below are photos of the connections at the solenoids of both starters. What is the difference between the two smaller connections on the new starter and how do I know which one I should connect to?

New starter (arrived with white plastic cover on one of the two smaller terminals)
Thanks for the photos
Old 04-21-2018, 11:10 AM
MC Master Poster

My guess is that the unused post got a vinyl cap, rather than black paint.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
My guess is that the unused post got a vinyl cap, rather than black paint.
I don't see any labeling on the small posts (unless you count that white cover). All I'm sure of at this point is there is not electrical continuity between the small posts with nothing connected to the solenoid. I've gotten by since I bought the boat in 2013 on just making sure I connected everything back the way it was when I re-installed the existing starter.

If there is any testing I can do to make sure of which small terminal I connect to (this small connection would be from the starter relay, correct?), I'll do it. Otherwise, I'll contact Indmar Monday.

Thank you for responding.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
One of the small posts is the trigger from your starter switch.
The other post is only hot when the starter is engaged and is used to bypass the ballast resistor (if you have one) to provide full voltage to the coil when cranking. If you put your wire on the wrong post, the starter will not engage when you turn the key.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I don't see any labeling on the small posts (unless you count that white cover). All I'm sure of at this point is there is not electrical continuity between the small posts with nothing connected to the solenoid. I've gotten by since I bought the boat in 2013 on just making sure I connected everything back the way it was when I re-installed the existing starter.

If there is any testing I can do to make sure of which small terminal I connect to (this small connection would be from the starter relay, correct?), I'll do it. Otherwise, I'll contact Indmar Monday.

Thank you for responding.
I would think it might come with a diagram.

Is it in the boat, yet? If so, are you asking before making the connections to be safe, or because it didn’t make the solenoid react?

If you haven’t made any connections, put the battery cable on the large post and tighten the nut. Then, connect the crank wire on the bare, small post and turn the key- it should engage. If not, try the other post. If you make these connections on a bench, make sure to secure the starter- spinning it will cause it to move if you don't expect it.

You don’t have a ballast resistor, since this is a ‘94 model. That was for engines with points in the distributor.

Last edited by JimN; 04-22-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
I would think it might come with a diagram.

Is it in the boat, yet? If so, are you asking before making the connections to be safe, or because it didn’t make the solenoid react?

If you haven’t made any connections, put the battery cable on the large post and tighten the nut. Then, connect the crank wire on the bare, small post and turn the key- it should engage. If not, try the other post. If you make these connections on a bench, make sure to secure the starter- spinning it will cause it to move if you don't expect it.

You don’t have a ballast resistor, since this is a ‘94 model. That was for engines with points in the distributor.
Yeah, you would sure think it would come with a diagram, but it didn't, and when I called the Indmar dealer on Friday that sold it to me the guy who answered the phone could not provide a definite answer. He was guessing.

No, I have not yet installed it. I just want to make sure I connect to the correct small terminal and don't cause any damage in the process of identifying it. What happens if I pick the wrong small post?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
One of the small posts is the trigger from your starter switch.
The other post is only hot when the starter is engaged and is used to bypass the ballast resistor (if you have one) to provide full voltage to the coil when cranking. If you put your wire on the wrong post, the starter will not engage when you turn the key.
Damage anything if I connect to the wrong small post?
Old 04-22-2018, 12:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Damage anything if I connect to the wrong small post?
I doubt it, but if you don't have a multi-meter, I would suggest buying one, even if it's the $6 one from Harbor Freight.

You can use a piece of wire to connect from the battery cable to either small post- one will engage the solenoid, the other won't- it's not high current, so it won't burn you.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
I doubt it, but if you don't have a multi-meter, I would suggest buying one, even if it's the $6 one from Harbor Freight.

You can use a piece of wire to connect from the battery cable to either small post- one will engage the solenoid, the other won't- it's not high current, so it won't burn you.
Yes, I've got a BK Precision 2709B an Australian reviewer called "sexy," but I don't think that alleged characteristic makes the numbers any different. Not sure what the applicability is of the multi-meter here. I did use it to establish lack of continuity between the two small posts.

It sounds like if you were installing this starter you wouldn't have an issue with bolting it in and connecting it up, and if the starter didn't turn over, moving to the other small post.