Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 10:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197 Prostar 40th Anniversary
using perfectpass

Hi all, just put my new boat in the water yesterday for the first time absolutely love it. I'm having a hard time using/understanding my perfectpass system. I have the manual but it's kind of confusing and i'm not sure what i'm supposed to be looking for in it.

When i set my perfect pass's setpoint to 32 yesterday, the boat was only topping out at like 28mph. Not sure what this is or if i'm in the wrong setting. Im pretty sure i was in slalom mode too.

It's an 08 prostar and it has the paddlewheel not GPS system. Any comments/insight would be helpful to this.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 MC X2 MCX
Problem – In slalom mode, the set speed and actual speed do not match. (ie: Set for 32
mph but digital speed shows 31 mph)
Check – Each individual slalom speed needs to be quickly calibrated for your boat. On
the fly, highlight the Menu Arrow icon > in upper right hand corner & press down key to
access Calibrate screen. You can now raise the rpm baseline value which will increase
the speed of the boat. When the digital speedometer matches set point you are finished.
See manual Page 5 for details.

http://www.perfectpass.com/sites/all...astercraft.pdf

I feel you pain. I find this Display very poorly designed.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
A few things to try:

1) download the user manual from the perfect pass website. It is not uncommon to have a speed reading on your PP gauge that is different from your speedo or actual speed. In slalom and jump mode, PP is running from your engine RPMs so the speed reading is irrelevant.

2) in trick or wakeboard mode, the system is usually running from the paddle wheel. Make sure speed is accurate in these modes.

3) consider upgrading to Zero off. Perfect pass is a good system, with usually very friendly people to help you trouble shoot. But the number of people familiar with the system decreases each year as zero off is the more common system, in part because it is more intuitive and runs from gps.

4) if there is a long-time promo skier or driver in your area, they tend to be the most familiar with the systems. I used to know my system Well, not great, And while it did the job, it certainly wasn’t intuitive, and my wife never did like the system.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

thank you. i will try these out later today when i am home
Old 04-21-2018, 08:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
So kyfooter suggests ZO... In 2008 your boat may just be able to do this and I would if it is compatable but 2007 was not.

Otherwise slalom mode doesn't set speeds based on paddlewheel just rpm so calibrate the system and ride on.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
OP: Do you have a slalom course with magnets available to calibrate against?

If not, I suggest you use a GPS unit either Waze or a Garmin.

Do not use your manual speedo as a guide.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Sunsetter LS1
If you have verified your speedometer is correct, i would add 400 rpm to each of your baselines if you are in slalom mode. So if 32 is set at 3000 move it to 3400. Then if you want to dial it in further you can get a GPS to verify.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDad View Post
If you have verified your speedometer is correct, i would add 400 rpm to each of your baselines if you are in slalom mode. So if 32 is set at 3000 move it to 3400. Then if you want to dial it in further you can get a GPS to verify.
Best way is using a slalom course with magnets, that is how a digital pro PP is designed.

I do not recommend arbitrarily tuning it 400 rpm higher or using an analog speedo.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Do not use phone GPS to calibrate time it using a course or just run what you brung.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

update: started to try and calibrate it using a GPS by using the directions from everyone on here but it seems to be more challenging than it should be. I will try and change the base calibration for the RPM's but it doesn't do it while im driving the boat and then when i slow down and speed back up again and it kicks in, it is either somewhat there, or way too fast, or way too slow again. not sure what's going on here but it's been a major PITA because i can't get it right. could be that i'm just doing it completely wrong too haha. Thinking of upgrading to stargazer though...or even going zero off route....thoughts?

also...i do not have a magnet system on our course.