Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 09-05-2018, 01:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Too hard to suggest a board. You didnt even specify skim or surf style.

You need to get out on a demo day and demo some boards. They all ride completely differently, and everyone likes something different. I will NEVER buy a wake-surf board from here on out without demoing it

If you are having a hard time dialing in your wake, One thing Ive learned this summer is these smaller 20ft boats seem to LOVE bow weight (Ive been travelling around a lot in michgian just to get sets in, unfortunately mostly wake-surfing). Throw a 800lb bag up there and see what happens. Or get a crew that will respect you when you are constantly asking them to sit in a different, but specific spot. Helps to have a crew know and understand what you are trying to accomplish. Seriously, I've ridden on many different boats this summer, and all the 20 footers perform MUCH better with a 800lb sac in the front.

If you were near I would bring all my bags to you and help you figure out how to dial it in.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Tige RZR
Stop messing around with mass produced boards. Call Jeff at soulcraft or similar custom board shop. You will never ever be sorry. I have a quiver of 8 boards (Ronix, CWB, O'Brien, even Phase 5), and bought a Soulcraft Jimmie 8 for myself last year. Best board i have ever ridden (fast, responsive, light, etc.). Problem is that once you ride a board like that; you will never go back, and everyone else wants to ride it all of the time too. The only other board i ever ride is the phase 5 hammerhead if i want to ride more skim style with more option to spin, 180, 360, etc.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuss4 View Post
Stop messing around with mass produced boards. Call Jeff at soulcraft or similar custom board shop. You will never ever be sorry. I have a quiver of 8 boards (Ronix, CWB, O'Brien, even Phase 5), and bought a Soulcraft Jimmie 8 for myself last year. Best board i have ever ridden (fast, responsive, light, etc.). Problem is that once you ride a board like that; you will never go back, and everyone else wants to ride it all of the time too. The only other board i ever ride is the phase 5 hammerhead if i want to ride more skim style with more option to spin, 180, 360, etc.

Honestly whats wrong with a mass produced board? Is it because you simply don't like the construction? If you nail a shape down as a company, whats wrong with mass producing it?

My gripe with getting something custom is what happens if I don't like the way it rides.

I do like the phase 5 hammerhead, and the phase 5 diamond. But they are custom $$$....but I can try before I buy.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
My gripe with getting something custom is what happens if I don't like the way it rides.
I think where custom boards shine is when you demo a board and like it, but want it a little bigger/smaller/faster/looser/more stable, etc. or you want custom graphics. I agree that it's important to demo a board before you buy it. Usually you can do that through your local dealer or directly through a custom board builder.

The're is nothing wrong with mass produced boards, what the question comes down to is where do you want your board made and what quality controls do they have. I don't really like stuff made in China. There are some companies like P5 mass producing boards here in the US.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Tige RZR
While there is "nothing wrong" with mass produced boards per se. I am speaking from experience as my crew and i have progressed over the last 5+yrs of surfing. During that time; i have spent $5k on boards from CWB to O'Brien(2) to Ronix(3) to Phase 5(1) to Soulcraft (1). After riding the soulcraft(or likely any other custom shaped board); going back to the Ronix(which are nice boards-don't get me wrong); they feel very slow and unresponsive. As the JackPine builder said in his post; the ability to get something extra with your custom board is worth every penny. As a bigger guy, you would love a board with more push/speed in the wave that could also release for airs or other maneuverability as you get better and better.
In my opinion Phase 5 sets itself in the upper echelon for mass produced board for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Honestly whats wrong with a mass produced board? Is it because you simply don't like the construction? If you nail a shape down as a company, whats wrong with mass producing it?

I do like the phase 5 hammerhead, and the phase 5 diamond. But they are custom $$$....but I can try before I buy.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft, X30, 6.0L, Gen2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuss4 View Post
While there is "nothing wrong" with mass produced boards per se. I am speaking from experience as my crew and i have progressed over the last 5+yrs of surfing. During that time; i have spent $5k on boards from CWB to O'Brien(2) to Ronix(3) to Phase 5(1) to Soulcraft (1). After riding the soulcraft(or likely any other custom shaped board); going back to the Ronix(which are nice boards-don't get me wrong); they feel very slow and unresponsive. As the JackPine builder said in his post; the ability to get something extra with your custom board is worth every penny. As a bigger guy, you would love a board with more push/speed in the wave that could also release for airs or other maneuverability as you get better and better.
In my opinion Phase 5 sets itself in the upper echelon for mass produced board for sure.
+1. Once you go custom you will never ride stock again. Went through the same progression as rbuss4, once I rode Soulcraft Honu, I was hooked. Just so much speed, push, action, even if riding a small wave. I’ve also had similar results with ParkerSurfcraft boards.