Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 10-13-2018, 07:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X-15
Perfect Pass Install

Not 100% sure of this is the right place but I am wanting to install a Perfect Pass into my 2007 Mastercraft X-15....if it's not the righ place, please move it.....

I've spoken with Perfect Pass already who recommended either the Stargazer Wake S System or the 3 Event Slalom System. We do not ski at this time but do spend a lot of time wake surfing and wake boarding in that order. My questions are......

1. Which system would you recommend and why?

2. I am told it is a "plug and play" install, which is why I am posting it here, can someone detail how I would go about installing it?

Cheers!!
Old 10-14-2018, 02:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Outback DD
Yep, the Stargazer wake edition. It’s easy to use, and it’s GPS so it works great, I had it in my old XStar. Set your profiles, then just pick one and your off. I had a surf profile, a slalom one to start at 32mph and a wake one at 21mph and it’s easy to adjust from there a little more or less, it’s a slick unit. The 3 event just has the ability to add course timers. I ran my slalom course with the wake edition and it held 32 and 34mph just fine for my recreational course use.

Not sure on the “Plug and Play” though. The display, harness, GPS puck and throttle modules connect to the under dash “brain” simple enough, but you will have to mount the throttle control, unless you have DBW, which your install would be different than my ‘99 was. It took an afternoon, and was easy enough I suppose. Perfect Pass has good customer service, and they’re quick to help if you call.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Perfect Pass Install

Hey AlbertaSurfer, thanks for the reply, I SUPER appreciate it!!! Where are you located? I’m in Calgary but “summer” at Jackfish Lake just outside Edmonton.

How can I tell if I am DBW or not? I know I saw a place under the dash in the control box that was factory labeled “Perfect Pass.” Not sure if that’s an indicator or not but, like I said, it’s a 2007 MC X-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
I believe in 2005 is when they switched to dbw.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvdh View Post

Thanks, so basically, all I have to do then is plug the leads into the box under the dash and mount the GPS puck and I am good to go?

Old 10-15-2018, 07:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Outback DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
Hey AlbertaSurfer, thanks for the reply, I SUPER appreciate it!!! Where are you located? I’m in Calgary but “summer” at Jackfish Lake just outside Edmonton.

How can I tell if I am DBW or not? I know I saw a place under the dash in the control box that was factory labeled “Perfect Pass.” Not sure if that’s an indicator or not but, like I said, it’s a 2007 MC X-15.

I live in Sherwood Park, and have lake property 1-1/2hrs northeast in St Paul where I have a ski/wake school. Lots of people go to Jackfish I hear, but I’ve never been out that way in the summer, just ice fishing.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
Quote:
Thanks, so basically, all I have to do then is plug the leads into the box under the dash and mount the GPS puck and I am good to go?

I believe so.

My 2004 needed a wire pulled from the gauges to the engine bay but I'm not drive by wire. Then the servo motor just hose clamped onto the radiator hoses. It only took me about 2 hours to install.

Either way, installation is a breeze.

I have stargazer wake S and it works for us. I don't run a course skiing. Just free skiing, surfing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, ect.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvdh View Post
^^2008.

Quote:
If you already have a PP installed and are upgrading to SG, you line the new master module to the old and swap the wires from the old MM to the new. Then add the GPS puck.

FWIW, I would spend the extra money and get the 3 event.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Quote:

Ha. I'm in Calgary too. I have a 2006 MCX, I have buddy with another 2006 MXC, and one more buddy with a 2007 MCX. All 3 of those are DBW. I am 99% sure yours will be DBW.

If you want to be sure just look in the engine compartment see if a throttle cable is attached to the throttle body of your motor. If not it is DBW.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
^^2008.
Couple dates that confuse people here.
2005-2007
DBW was available "Pre-Zero Off", the computer engine management was done via MEFI-5 ECU and this was available on MCX and RPT engines starting around 2005. For these boats in the 2005-2007 range these documents might help you out.
http://www.perfectpass.com/sites/all...ble_MC2005.pdf
http://www.perfectpass.com/sites/all...ble_MC2006.pdf

In this age range you have to double check that your engine has an electronic throttle before you buy a DBW - some engines still had physical cables. Others were DBW. Pays to check. There were a very few boats in 2007 mostly Prostars with a "dual compatible" lay out these were MEFI-5 that had been flashed to work for PP and ZO. But shouldn't be existing on other boats.

2008 - Indmar switches from MEFI-5 to E-Controls Technologies (Owner of Zero Off) ECM = NO MORE PERFECT PASS ON YOUR BOAT