Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewen View Post
except for the transom lounge seating.
I've never had it, but I hear they are awesome. We have the flip up seats, so they work. Just not as good as the transom.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2060 View Post
I've never had it, but I hear they are awesome. We have the flip up seats, so they work. Just not as good as the transom.
Do you actually use the flip seats? I just can't think of a situation where I would use them. They don't seem anymore comfortable than just sitting without a seatback (then again, I don't have much reason to do that either). Maybe they are more useful to people who hang on their boat all day, but we tend to just go back to the house/dock when not riding around.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
Do you actually use the flip seats? I just can't think of a situation where I would use them. They don't seem anymore comfortable than just sitting without a seatback (then again, I don't have much reason to do that either). Maybe they are more useful to people who hang on their boat all day, but we tend to just go back to the house/dock when not riding around.
I do not use them when riding but sit in them all the time when we are just hanging out on the water. Next boat will need to have them as well. Even if I had a dock to hang out on I think they would still get used, just not as much.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
They are ok. We have used them while surfing. Technically not legal. I would compare the seats to sitting in bleachers without a back rest versus having a back rest. They help slightly and are better than nothing. We're have used them while boarding as well.
Overall, for us, I can have a boat without transom seats or flip seats and do fine. We like to stay under the shade for the most part.
It seems a lot of guys sacrifice performance for the transom seats. For me, I like having a great surf wave and a great wake board wake. I like the performance aspect for me.
It's all personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
They are ok. We have used them while surfing. Technically not legal. I would compare the seats to sitting in bleachers without a back rest versus having a back rest. They help slightly and are better than nothing. We're have used them while boarding as well.
Overall, for us, I can have a boat without transom seats or flip seats and do fine. We like to stay under the shade for the most part.
It seems a lot of guys sacrifice performance for the transom seats. For me, I like having a great surf wave and a great wake board wake. I like the performance aspect for me.
It's all personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I agree. With the transom seats it is just included, so that is cool if you want that boat, but, like you, I wouldn't let it sway my decision either way (but don't fault others for wanting them). It seems like most of the competitors' boats have transom-type seating, so it is interesting that MC only puts it on the X-Series.

As for the flip seats, you have to pay more (and not an insignificant amount), which is why I don't think I would ever get them. If they were included in the base, sure why not, but as an option, I am surprised so many people get them.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. With the transom seats it is just included, so that is cool if you want that boat, but, like you, I wouldn't let it sway my decision either way (but don't fault others for wanting them). It seems like most of the competitors' boats have transom-type seating, so it is interesting that MC only puts it on the X-Series.

As for the flip seats, you have to pay more (and not an insignificant amount), which is why I don't think I would ever get them. If they were included in the base, sure why not, but as an option, I am surprised so many people get them.
I did it more out of novelty and thought they would be neat. I don't regret it, but probably wouldn't do it again.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
I did it more out of novelty and thought they would be neat. I don't regret it, but probably wouldn't do it again.
I hear ya. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-15-2018, 04:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
We do cove a lot - and LOVE our transom recliners in our X23. So much so, that I don't think that my wife would buy a boat without them.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X23 2018 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post
I have time behind an X23 and X24...but not in an X22. I can only assume the X24 and X22 perform similarly.

The waves behind the two are very different. X24 is super long, not very tall(relatively speaking, itís still a good size), with a more rolled over front section - kind of like an ocean wave that has a really short transition between roller and breaking.

The X23, while not as long, is taller and has more steep throughout the wave with a short roller section at the start.

I personally prefer the X23 wave. It is finicky, but really easy to figure out if you pay attention to the variables. It is my favorite wave so far, but I have also surfed with an inexperienced driver and been very disappointed too.

The X22 should be more consistent and easier to set up. But no boat is fool proof and the transfer tank is only going to help, not overcome improper setup.

If you like the X23 better and donít mind adjusting little things to dial in the wave, I donít see why you wouldnít buy the X23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent post. I've been looking for comparisons like this on this forum and haven't found much. I would love to hear other people's experiences. I bought an X23 this summer before any X24's were available to try because I absolutely loved how tall and clean the main wave face was. Sure it was fun to try to see how far back I could go on the mellow/long setting but the steep setting was where the fun was at and I don't need more length than I have. When I looked at pictures of X24 waves they looked very much like you described ... just very different ... longer but shorter with more curl which seems like it would shrink the vertical surfable height. I'm not trying to rag on the X24. I intend to try one next summer and should it be noticeably better I might trade up so I'm genuinely curious. I bought the X23 because it was the best wave I'd surfed and my family fell in love with the last one on the lot the minute we walked into the showroom so I couldn't just let it go and not have an option to get one later ... maybe that was Mastercraft's strategy all along.

p.s. Please Mastercraft don't ever get rid of the full transom lounge seating. Agree not the main reason I'd buy a boat, but my everyone fights over those seats and my family wouldn't let me trade to anything without them.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X23 2018 6000
Jumping over my baby in Powell
Attached Images