Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MC TT ProStar 197
Yes, I know, It's not a MasterCraft...BUT........

I'm hoping that there is someone on this site that knows a tad about this specific model of Supra:

LINKY

I really have no preference as to what kind of inboard boat I get...just as long as it 1. SOUNDS GOOD. 2. Is in great shape. 3. Has a clean bill of health.

I really want to stay away from wood stringers if I can...but this boat seems to be a hell of a deal. Seeing as there are people on this site that have actually purchased these type of boats in the past, is there anything that is striking you odd...or something that is telling you that if you were looking, you would avoid it?

Last edited by Z71_Silvy; 06-28-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Seems like an odd paint job, inside looks clean. Trailer??? Red? Hey, whatever floats your boat right? I know nothing about them, just thought it looked different, but different is usually good.
Good Luck...
Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MC TT ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskie05 View Post
Seems like an odd paint job, inside looks clean. Trailer??? Red? Hey, whatever floats your boat right? I know nothing about them, just thought it looked different, but different is usually good.
Good Luck...
Thank you. Yeah...the trailer is from a 2005 Moomba...colors of the boat look similar to what I have seen on early Supras.

This boat seems odd to me as it's a high-sided inboard with a cuddy. It's like a MariStar with a closed front bow (meaning a crossover boat).

I'm torn. Half of me says it would be great because of the cuddy/higher sides/new engine, etc. The other half of me says that boat with a new 454 is too cheap and that something else is going on with it that is making the price lower (ie rotten stringers).

But then again, would they be able to replace the engine with rot present in the stringers???

This is what keeps bringing me back to MC...all fiberglass construction since 1983. This one caught my eye:

Link
Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, X-Star, 2007,
Mmm... That is a nice looking prostar.
What is keeping you from the prostar or what has that supra got that has you burning a hole in your pocket?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210
Cool boat if it fits your needs. When I was a teenager I would fish with my buddy's grandfather while my buddy slept in the cabin of the 20' cuddy we were in....then we'd ski and "Skurf" when he finally woke up.

Not sure you can call it a "Ski Boat" even if it's an inboard.....that's a pretty deep V. Bet it makes a nice wake though.

I don't know anything about this specific model. What do you want to do with it? Ski? Wakeboard? Surf? Fish? Drive fast? Float in a cove and swim?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 LT-1
That prostar is sweet. I don't know about that supra. Its kinda funky. Too big to have a good ski wake. That pylon won't fit a pylon extension, so you'd have to buy a tower to wakeboard. The larger hull and a 454 will suck alot more fuel too. Is the cuddy big enough for a full size adult to lay down in? It looks short in the photos. If so, I don't really see the point.

As others said, we need to know more about what you want to do with it. Those are two very different boats for two very different uses.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1947 Steelcraft - 351PCM, 2011 X-Star
We have had an 86 Pirata for about 15 years and it has been a pretty good boat for us. The cuddy is pretty good size and has come in handy for storage and for the occasional nap for the kiddos. The ski wake isn't great but the deadrise is relatively flat aft that helps with it. It is flat enough that you can throw this boat into a nasty powerslide. For wakeboarding it is great for a boat of this era although adding fat sacks anywhere eats up a ton of floor space. No doubt this boat has wooden stringers but you should be able to check the condition of those through the forward two hatches and the engine compartment.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
We haven't had good luck with Supras up here in Michigan, at least the ones I've been in contact with. That being said the only ones I worked on were "deals" friends have purchased over the years and those were all at least 7 years old. Of the three (and only three) that I've had experience with all had rotted stringers. All had wiring problems and all had seats that were falling apart. Again this could be because they were all "great deals" that friends had purchased and called their inboard buddy to help them out with them.

Conversely speaking I've owned several and have help several friends with Malibus, CCs and Mastercrafts that were of the same vintage without these problems. The BUs and Mastercrafts all had fiberglass stringers and the construction of the interiors are just better than the Supra. In the end if the price sounds too good to be true it usually is.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Looks to me like the Supra has had fiberglass hull work done around the strut and rudder? Not a good sign. Does anyone else see that?

That is a nice looking Prostar in Mn.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
lots of wood in that boat which leads to rotten stringers. go to the supra.com and to to there owners forum. lots and lots of stringer replacement info.