Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-25-2018, 08:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 MasterCraft ProStar 190
Sudden No Spark issue after messing with Distributor

My 1987 Pro Star 190 had been running fine. This weekend I started noticing the rpm's would creep up after running the boat. I had read that the springs on the distributor over time wear out, not pulling back the mechanical advance on the distributor. I loosened the distributor, and began to spin it to change the timing, and the boat suddenly died. Ever since then, I have not been able to get the boat started. I am getting no spark and nothing from the coil. I do have an electronic ignition module, and I have read they die all the time. Could this be my issue? Or could it be an issue with the distributor? I need the pro's here to help, where do I start diagnosing? I have fuel and compression is fine.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988 centurion falcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkasho View Post
My 1987 Pro Star 190 had been running fine. This weekend I started noticing the rpm's would creep up after running the boat. I had read that the springs on the distributor over time wear out, not pulling back the mechanical advance on the distributor. I loosened the distributor, and began to spin it to change the timing, and the boat suddenly died. Ever since then, I have not been able to get the boat started. I am getting no spark and nothing from the coil. I do have an electronic ignition module, and I have read they die all the time. Could this be my issue? Or could it be an issue with the distributor? I need the pro's here to help, where do I start diagnosing? I have fuel and compression is fine.
Have you checked your timing at all since moving the distributor ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2018, 10:52 PM
TT Regular

I have not, I got a timing light this afternoon, so that will be next. Would that explain why I am not getting any spark. I figured if the timing is off, i would at least still get spark.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
I have not, I got a timing light this afternoon, so that will be next. Would that explain why I am not getting any spark. I figured if the timing is off, i would at least still get spark.
It can definantley cause no spark.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Did you re-tighten the distributor hold-down? If not, you may have lost the distributor's contact with the block and it needs that in order to produce spark.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:21 PM
TT Regular

Well i got a timing light this morning, but just realized without spark, the light wont work I believe. The distributor is tightend down currently. I have an extra electronic ignition module I am going to try and swap out today.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:52 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Well i got a timing light this morning, but just realized without spark, the light wont work I believe. The distributor is tightend down currently. I have an extra electronic ignition module I am going to try and swap out today.
Does It crank normally ?

Old 10-26-2018, 01:43 PM
TT Regular

It will turn over and its getting gas, just have zero spark right now. Im crossing my fingers that its just the module has failed.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Do you have a simple test light? If you do, you can do some basic ignition system testing with it.

Take the clip end of the Test light and place it on the engine somewhere to provide a good ground for the light. Place the probe end of the Test light on the coil positive (+). Turn on key to run...does the test light light? If not, no power to coil. Turn the key to Start and crank engine. Does the light come on and "flicker"? A flickering light indicate the module is triggering.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:10 PM
TT Regular

I actually got a testlight this morning form a neighbor. We tested the coil for voltage yesterday and it was getting voltage, 10.8 or something like that, (But the battery had been run down when we were trying it). I would suspect the test light will turn on, since we have voltage going. Im just not getting output from the coil. I swapped the coil too, and the second one also did not have output.

My buddy who is helping, is an old school mechanic said that the coil may not be getting signal to output, so he is also leaning towards the module being bad.