Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Intermittent starting

2000 Maristar, 330 hp, LTR, Fuel injected

Last few times out boat starts and then immediately shuts down. Will happen 4-5 times and then will remain on. Yesterday, this happened only upon initial start when we got to lake. Remaining time on water engine started immediately. However, earlier in the week it happened throughout day with the amount of time engine starts and shuts down varied. Not sure itís related but I installed the push/start button that was sold here on TeamTalk three weeks ago. While the first few times out after installation engine started as it should, it is now starting intermittently. We are preparing to leave on a two-week week lakeside vacation. Any ideas?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Check the connections at the fuel pump and see if they are getting hot during operation. If it won't continue running then try the wiggle test and see if that keeps it running. Also put a fuel pressure guage on it just to rule out the pump issue. This is where I would start.

The next place I would check is the connections at the Crank Position sensors. Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks. Will start with your advice.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:58 PM
MC Devotee

Anyone think it issue is related to new stop/start button?
Old 07-09-2018, 01:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtajpa View Post
Check the connections at the fuel pump and see if they are getting hot during operation. If it won't continue running then try the wiggle test and see if that keeps it running. Also put a fuel pressure guage on it just to rule out the pump issue. This is where I would start.

The next place I would check is the connections at the Crank Position sensors. Hope this helps.
I would definitely give the fuel pump wire harness a wiggle and pull to see if you hear any variation in the sound of the fuel pump. My 05 Maristar 280 has a connector issue.Zip tie fixed it. Engine would start up and stall randomly or not start at all for a few tries. Does it fully reach Idle rpm then shutdown or does it just sound like a quick fire and nothin right when you let go of the key/button?
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 PM
MC Devotee

Intermittent starting

The latter. A quick fire and then shuts down. It does not reach idle speed. On the occasion when it took five or six tries to finally get it started there was a smell of fuel which makes me think the fuel pump is working and there might be some sensor thatís telling the boat not to run.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue View Post
The latter. A quick fire and then shuts down. It does not reach idle speed. On the occasion when it took five or six tries to finally get it started there was a smell of fuel which makes me think the fuel pump is working and there might be some sensor that’s telling the boat not to run.
Check to make sure your spark plugs are all tight, one of mine was loose and leaking gas out the threads. Only noticed when i had this issue due to sitting in the engine area while turning the engine over endlessly trying to figure it out.

But yea it sounds like a Gas supply issue, not a starter issue, unless I'm missing something. I have two of the Carter pumps for twin crusaders, One runs perfect and wiggling/pulling the wire harness at the connector did not make the pump shut off or change the humming pitch at all. the second pump would turn off in a couple positions and the pitch was all over the place while moving the harness around. Engine would sound like it was about to start so I would release the key and it would immediately stop. Sometimes it would start on first try and stall after 20 seconds, others it would run for 30 minutes and stall. It made no sense until i figured out the connector to the pump was the issue(wire harness side, not the connector on the pump). When that connector would vibrate to a certain position it would lose power and stall the engine. sometimes while near idle it would almost stall them come back real hard if the pump turned off and on over like 3 seconds.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Anyone think it issue is related to new stop/start button?
the last thing you did to it is the first culprit to any new issues.. If it were me I would remove the stop/start button and go back to the original key and see if it continues... if it does then you have eliminated the stop start button install, it if not then you have found your problem....

trouble shooting is always what did you do to it last... eliminate that then go from there.. other advice is good but don't go chasing something that may not be wrong...
Old 07-10-2018, 03:46 PM
MC Devotee

We are planning on putting a tester on the stop/start tonight.

Since we are leaving on a two week lakeside vacation in a few days, I am searching for the fuel pump numbers. MC wants north of $750 for complete module and wiring harness.

Can anyone confirm that the fuel pump for a 2000 LTR 330 HP is:

Carter P74118 or Delphi DFP-FE0299?

I have searched the forum and it appears to be either of these but I am a bit uncertain.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
We are planning on putting a tester on the stop/start tonight.

Since we are leaving on a two week lakeside vacation in a few days, I am searching for the fuel pump numbers. MC wants north of $750 for complete module and wiring harness.

Can anyone confirm that the fuel pump for a 2000 LTR 330 HP is:

Carter P74118 or Delphi DFP-FE0299?

I have searched the forum and it appears to be either of these but I am a bit uncertain.

Did you confirm it was the pump itself and not just the connector? I have the carter pumps on my X80 and both connectors were bad on the wiring harness side. Or have you not gotten into the fuel pump area to test those yet?
And sorry I cannot confirm your pump numbers. I would just go with whats currently in it/ direct replacements.