Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190 LT1 with PS
What is level for boat on trailer

Stupid question, but have not found the answer, so I ask... If my 97 prostar is on the trailer in the driveway for maintenance. What method do you use to make sure boat is level, so fluids can be properly measured? I know boats sit differently in the water that on trailers. Is the attitude of engine taken into account for water operation? Should top of engine be level? Anyways thought I would ask, what is dead level on this boat while on trailer?

Thanks,

Grip
Old 07-12-2018, 11:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
put it in the water check the levels of oils then put it on the trailer go to your place and check the levels that would be the new level to go to after that while on the trailer... easy peasy...
Old 07-12-2018, 04:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X45 2005 LQ9
It would seem that if you put a level on the floor along the centerline of the boat, then you would be able to determine dead level. This would relieve you having to put it back in the water. If this is incorrect, I am certain someone will chime in.

Another consideration when in the water would be the load within the boat. Does it have 60 gallons of gas or is it empty. I don't know how much variance that would create.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
IMO probably being too picky.

I only use the engine oil dipstick as a reference for if it lost any - volume is added per recommended volume after a complete drain and that's that.

The transmission is supposed to be measured floating in the water and at operating temp. So long ago I got that set to the correct amount, then put it on the lift and it sat for a while I took a hacksaw and put a gash for my "cold" level that way when I change I fill to that.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190 LT1 with PS
Thumbs up

Thanks for the great tips guys, this will get me there! I always appreciate the knowledge you all are willing to share.

Grip
Old 07-13-2018, 01:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar VRS200 1998 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
IMO probably being too picky.

I only use the engine oil dipstick as a reference for if it lost any - volume is added per recommended volume after a complete drain and that's that.

The transmission is supposed to be measured floating in the water and at operating temp. So long ago I got that set to the correct amount, then put it on the lift and it sat for a while I took a hacksaw and put a gash for my "cold" level that way when I change I fill to that.
So where did your cold level end up? Higher or lower than hot on the water?