Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-08-2018, 06:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '03 Prostar 197 w/MCX 350
Question Fuel Pump Not Pumping - Please HELP

Hi Folks,
Bought an '03 Prostar 197 w/MCX 350 2 months ago, w/165 hours. Installed PP Stargazer w/Zbox, replaced cap & rotor, impeller, & spark plugs. First few times out, ran fine but would stumble or skip occasionally, causing Ck Engine light to briefly come on. 2 weeks ago did same thing but cut off completely after slalom skiing thru course, etc. Tried to restart it immediately, starter engaged but engine would not fire. Popped engine cover & let cool for 1.5 hours, tried starting several more times but nothing then and also next day. Tested kill switch first & was OK. Checked all wiring harnesses, connections, etc. at dist. cap, coil, fuel pump, etc. as well as the 15A fuses for fuel pump & ECM - all OK. Used test light to check 50A circuit breaker & was OK. With ignition on, checked fuel pressure on fuel rail & none whatsoever. Obviously not getting fuel and heard no sound from fuel pump when first turning on ignition. Checked power with test light at fuel sender & was good, but did same with fuel pump and no power at harness at fuel pump (has in-tank fuel pump & filter). Also, I think sending unit and fuel pump have separate power leads coming to them. Replaced both fuel relays at rear of engine & still no power at pump. I'm stumped! What am I overlooking? While on trailer in garage I have kept a battery tender connected to the battery, plugging it in to AC when I'm using battery to play stereo, testing PP during install, etc. so would not run it down. I did not disconnect it from the terminals when I went to lake and ran boat. I have since disconnected it but has made no difference with my problem of no power at pump. Could leaving it connected while running engine somehow damaged my ECM? I REALLY hope not! Any thoughts or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Hear is a fuel pump circuit that may help. The ECM provides the ground necessery to energize the fuel pump relay. Follow the positive circuit to the relay There are 3 fuses involved. 1 for the ECM and 1 for the ignition and 1 for the fuel pump. check all of these. Hope this helps.This manual should also be in the library site.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2018, 11:29 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks mtajpa! As I said in my original post, I checked all 3 fuses and all are OK.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM
MC Devotee

If you ground the pin #85 (with key on) on the fuel pump relay the pump should turn on. Then you should build up fuel pressure. Note initial key on will only prime the system for few seconds. Then the engine needs to be cranked for the pump to turn on. The pump will not run just setting with key on.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:53 PM
TT Newbie

If the procedure works that you're suggesting, what is the conclusion, if any?
Thanks!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:57 PM
MC Devotee

The conclusion would be that all components in the fuel system are working with the exception of the ECM internal driver for the pump relay. The ECM needs to know that the engine is turning over at the correct rpm to turn on the driver which would supply the fuel pump relay with the negative or ground it needs to energize the fuel pump relay thus turning on the fuel pump.. The link to the PDF file has more trouble shoot the other inputs to the ECM.

So if you ground pin 85 the pump should turn on and you should get fuel pressure at the rail. Or at least voltage at the fuel pump connector. Make sure you check both the conductors for the pump not just the Gray to ground but also the gray to black in the connector. The black or ground wires have been know to corrode at the ground point connection usually at the engine block just above the starter.

This connection is depicted as S116 (150) with the ground symbol.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:44 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks mtajpa!
Old 07-13-2018, 03:16 PM
TT Newbie

mtajpa,

Connected fuel pump directly to battery and turned on immediately. Also grounded out #85 wire coming from fuel pump relay and pump turned on. Lastly, no voltage for 2-3 seconds at gray/black power lead to fuel pump when first turn ignition on. Have already talked to OBD Diagnostics about sending ECM to them for testing. Time to do that you think? Also, where is the link to the troubleshooting PDF you mentioned? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 PM
MC Devotee

You can down load it from here.

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/M...EFI4manual.pdf

The PDF I have is to large to attach.

If no 2 seconds of fuel pump ecm is possible. Are you sure you checked ALL 3 fuses. The key on from the ignition switch input to the mefi relay then sends the 12v to the ECM. The ECM then should provide the ground signal to the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds. Once the distributor detects the engine is rotating the ECM then provides the ground signal. All of this is also explained in the PDF.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by mtajpa; 07-13-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:11 PM
TT Newbie

Mtajpa,
Wanted to give you an update: OBD diagnostics had to reflash my ECM, as part of the memory was corrupted that controls fuel pump. They recommended checking distributor, etc., as it sent a code error of 14,000 RPM (impossible). Reinstalled it after doing checking distrib, grounding, etc. and engine started right up, but still stumbled occasionally at lake (same problem as before it killed the ECM), with check engine light coming on for 1-2 secs. Replaced ignition control module ($66 AC Delco part at Advance Auto) and engine ran perfect while pulling several slalom skiers last weekend.
Again, thanks for your help!!