Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-18-2017, 01:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
812 impeller - big price variances on Amazon?

I just winterized my boat and am shopping for a new impeller on Amazon to be ready to insert in the spring, but I'm surprised at the large price differences for what appears to be the same thing.

Are the less expensive ones made out of cheaper material that won't last? What's the deal?

Here's one for under $12:
low-cost impeller on Amazon

Here's one for $33 that I've purchased in the past:
pricey impeller on Amazon

Doing a search for "Johnson 09-812b" yields quite a variety of price ranges. Anyone have experience with the inexpensive ones?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:02 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyGuy View Post
I just winterized my boat and am shopping for a new impeller on Amazon to be ready to insert in the spring, but I'm surprised at the large price differences for what appears to be the same thing.

Are the less expensive ones made out of cheaper material that won't last? What's the deal?

Here's one for under $12:
low-cost impeller on Amazon

Here's one for $33 that I've purchased in the past:
pricey impeller on Amazon

Doing a search for "Johnson 09-812b" yields quite a variety of price ranges. Anyone have experience with the inexpensive ones?
I stumbled across the same (low cost) impeller a few months ago ordering it by accident. Received it in the mail and already was thinking the same thing. So I opened the packaged product and looked it over closely. Upon inspection and comparison to the one that I was replacing, I found no stamps or marks of origin or manufacturer brand, etc. as did have the other impeller. I tossed it out and ordered the more costly item (same thing, from the same place as you have linked). I re-read the item description and it states "replacement for" so I chalked it up as a marketing ploy.

My point and merely an opinion: The less expensive part is something of a grey market or off-brand item. I can't say this with 100% certainty but after looking at it and comparing, something is amiss. What made me even more hesitant upon inspection was that I was replacing an impeller that had failed at the hub (the vanes looked perfectly fine) where I did not expect the impeller to fail.

Sidebar: there is a lesson here in that; if an impeller looks OK upon a visual inspection, bump the engine (while the pump housing cover is off) to make sure it turns the impeller vanes.

$0.02

John 3:16-18
Old 11-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
buy only Johnson brand pumps... if it doesn't show the Johnson part number return it and tell amazon seller not being honest on what he's selling - then amazon will also cover shipping.

I got an off brand impeller this season and the vanes had creases after 26 hours - the impeller I have has a backup "a Johnson" has almost 50 hours on it - looks like new - vanes don't have any creases...
Old 12-08-2017, 08:44 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X5, 2000, 310 Predator
Agreed! PO of my mc had a Amazon knockoff on my Predator engine and it cost me a weekend pulling crappy rubber out of all my hoses. Make sure it’s Johnson, and IMO tens of thousands of dollars in a boat deserves a better choice than saving $15 on a crucial part!