Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 40th anniv X Star
4 people in the boat and ballast I burn 7-8 gallons an hour. This is with the 6 liter.

40th anniv X-Star
Old 06-22-2009, 11:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X-Star, Red and Black, L18
wow, stock ballast only and 4-5 people with L18 and 14.75 X 15.5 oj prop i am burning between 9-10 gph. at $3.00/gallon that translates into about $15/30 minute session. i thought i was getting better than that but i checked it recently and it is not good at all. i am a little under-propped and could get away with the 14.75 X 17.5 oj but i really like the instant response and the locked-in feeling of the lower-pitched prop. plus, when we surf it is nice to have the ability to consistently hold the speed effectively while under a severe load and strain. oh well, there is no substitute for a good day on the lake so me and my crew just cough it up without thinking twice. never in my life have i said "maybe we shoud just stay in today and save that $90 so we can go to the touring off-broadway production". yeah, that's it. i'm gonna miss a day of butter on the lake to go sit in a dark theater. now, if the rolling stones were playing within driving distance i could see it. otherwise, "who's up?"

"Tropic corridor, tropic treasure. What got us this far to this mild equator? We need someone, something new....something else to get us through" (James Douglas Morrison/The Doors)
Old 06-22-2009, 12:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Rebels View Post
wow, stock ballast only and 4-5 people with L18 and 14.75 X 15.5 oj prop i am burning between 9-10 gph. at $3.00/gallon that translates into about $15/30 minute session. i thought i was getting better than that but i checked it recently and it is not good at all. i am a little under-propped and could get away with the 14.75 X 17.5 oj but i really like the instant response and the locked-in feeling of the lower-pitched prop. plus, when we surf it is nice to have the ability to consistently hold the speed effectively while under a severe load and strain. oh well, there is no substitute for a good day on the lake so me and my crew just cough it up without thinking twice. never in my life have i said "maybe we shoud just stay in today and save that $90 so we can go to the touring off-broadway production". yeah, that's it. i'm gonna miss a day of butter on the lake to go sit in a dark theater. now, if the rolling stones were playing within driving distance i could see it. otherwise, "who's up?"
I still have not got a solid handle on how much gas I go through, but this feels about right. I get better mileage with no ballast. The only thing I would add is that I get that mileage on my hour meter, not my watch. Some days, I can spend the whole day at the lake and only put 5 hours on the boat....if you know what I mean. It seems that a good morning of wakeboarding takes 3 hours, but only puts 1.5 hours on the boat engine. So a morning of wakeboarding would use about 15 gallons in my X45 with the L18.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Go Red, you are correct in that the ONLY way to measure gph is off of the hour meter. i have a friend that never turns his boat off. he lets it idle while were are rotating out riders. makes no sense to me but that is his gig. i turn mine off immediately. goes against everything in me to have somethng running when it serves no purpose. hell, i even unplug the night-lite in the bathroom when i leave ;-)

"Tropic corridor, tropic treasure. What got us this far to this mild equator? We need someone, something new....something else to get us through" (James Douglas Morrison/The Doors)
Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Go Red, what prop do you have on your X45?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:52 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
'05 X-star MCX..........$75-125/day

5-6 [email protected]$20 each=$100-120/day

Sounds like a fun day to me!

Sure beats cutting grass, painting, hanging shelves, etc.

Movies, plays, birthday parties...........that's for the winter months!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30 2007 LY6
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Rebels View Post
Go Red, you are correct in that the ONLY way to measure gph is off of the hour meter. i have a friend that never turns his boat off. he lets it idle while were are rotating out riders. makes no sense to me but that is his gig. i turn mine off immediately. goes against everything in me to have somethng running when it serves no purpose. hell, i even unplug the night-lite in the bathroom when i leave ;-)
OMR you KNOW there is no quit in the Mighty 30.... plus the tiny bit of fuel burned while on a rider switch I'll eat & save the wear-n-tear on turning the engine on and off over and over when on the lake all day.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Lake Rebel View Post
the tiny bit of fuel burned while on a rider switch I'll eat & save the wear-n-tear on turning the engine on and off over and over when on the lake all day.
I've wondered about this... aside from fuel burn at idle and the resale value from idle time adding to the engine hours... What puts more wear and tear on the engine? Letting it idle for 5-10 minutes or stopping and restarting after the same 5-10 minutes?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190, 1989
I always let my prostar idle during rider switches.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft PWT XStar,08,4hungy
xstar

i agree, u got a pay big if u want to play big,some people are happy with standard wakes which consume around 18ltrs p/h or u can have a huge pro riders wake which can use up to 50ltrs p/h. u can choose what u can afford . switching weight around can help with efficiency but can change shape.also a 14.5x14.25 prop can save u fuel if u add more weight and of course lots of falls dont help either.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW4fKqnYkYA