Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 x45 8.1
They were the inboats and yes I believe I fried them cranking the bass down and treble up... They don't sound bad, but I deffintely need to buy different amps... And I figured I would try to see if 8.8's would fit... Looks like they might need to much modification than what I'm willing to do... Probably will just deal with replacing the tweeters and changing out the subs... I am still wondering where the best place for a 13 w7 will be?!?!? Any takers on this one? I really liked the custom install under the helm but not sure if a w7 will be worth it...
Old 03-26-2013, 11:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
You likely had plenty of power going to the tweets, that is part of the reason they blew.
In extreme cases like turning down the mid/bass, once the cone stops taking the energy more is available to the tweeter which over powers it. Clean power is better than dirty power but over power (distortion) cooked the tweets.

For the kind of sound you are demanding, you either need more speakers or more efficient speakers. That is where the Bullet or Krypt 7.7's come into play. They should fit in both stock locations, from x-45 pics I am seeing (measure to confirm, existing tweets will be non-functional space filler)
Otherwise, like David said, its kind of take what the boat gives you. Another pair could be installed with a custom insert where the cup holders are but you do drink stoarge space. Easier but not as ideal accoustically would be to add additional sets below the seats. Seal them with a baffle to protect the speaker cone/magnet and enhance bass. The trebble would not be ideal but better than nothing.

Have you considered upgrading the tower to HLCD? You will be happiest with something like WetSounds Rev 3some but if $2000+ is not in the budget, there are lesser options. Dont forget you can sell the existing cans for probably $600 easy. (you were/are ready to spend $1100+ on 2 pr of 8.8 so you are not that far off.

Agree w David too, direct radiating sub would be best. A box is also very important (no free air). I assume there is not enough room to squeeze a 13" in the stock location face with room for a box? Second choice would be mounting it in the helm compartment. A ported box takes more volume but increased sound is worth it IMO, especially if you are not salt water and cover the boat. A properly designed box is $$ well spent.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004xstar
Here's a picture with one 13.5.w7 in my xstar. I have another 13.5 w7 and 1000/1 but not sure if i have the space.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004xstar
I definitely recommend any of the JL W7 speakers.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 x45 8.1
i will deffinitely be putting the 13w7 in but right now i am dealing with idling issues with the motor... so the stereo upgrade will be put on hold!!