Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-29-2006, 11:00 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Car Sales

Okay, First of all I need to state that there really are some good car dealers that are honest before I start my story.

My mother, who lives in Evergreen Co.(I live in Tulsa), who is 64 and single goes to the Lexus Dealership in Golden to have some service work done on her 2000 RX 300 (104,000miles). Well she is walking around in the parking lot looking at used cars, and a salesmen comes to her and ask which on she likes. Well there is a 2004 RX 330 on the lot.

He shows her the vehicle and of course she likes it. They go to his office to try to make a sale. She states that she would like the salemen to call her son (me) to discuss. She hands him my business card and he states that no one is in my office today and she will have to do this herself. (lie.)

Long story short he agrees to sell her the vehicle for $35,500 and only give her $9K for her vehicle. She leave a deposit but says she will not sign any papers till she speaks with me. She gets home and calls me at my office, (imagine that). I pull the car up on their website and guess what. They are asking $31,950.........

I call the salesmen and asked why he is trying to sell her a car for $3500 more that they are asking. He states he did not know that the car was priced at that and since my mother agreed to the $35,500 that was what they were going to sell it to her.

Long story short, I called my mother and had her put a stop payment on the deposit and she called the sales mgr and told him to shove it.

Sorry I am still so pissed off that they would take that much advantage of a older women.

Doug
Old 06-29-2006, 11:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205 w/351 H.O. 4 Blade CNC Acme
Bull... Bull... Bull... Cant stand stuff like that. How does one look in the mirror at themselves in the morning?

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it is unfamiliar territory."
Old 06-29-2006, 11:03 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
That sucks, I try to take advantage of an older woman every day, my wife!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 06-29-2006, 11:39 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
this is a perfect example of why I will never be an outstanding car salesman. Its good that car sales only supplement my income, otherwise I would starve to death. I only sell a few cars a month, but I sleep at night. I have alot of repeat business which says alot. I do lose sales to dealerships with smooth talkin BS artists, but If I cant sell a car on without lying and coniving tactics, then I dont want to sell it. The part that REALLY gets me is, there are so many customers out there that actually fall for this ****. how do you think those car dealerships make so much chang? it aint from frugal, well read shoppers. and the ones that really cook my goose are the customers that you present a darn fair deal to, and they go buy somewhere else and pay MORE just because they need some slick talkin BS artist blowing smoke up their arse with lies and BS just to make the customer feel like they are getting the deal of the century. I cant stand that. I may be a "stoic" car salesman, I dont get all wound up and animated. I am real simple, this is the car, this is the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:51 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
Sorry to hear this Doug. I hate going to car dealers. As soon as you drive on the lot they are all over you. I understand they need to make money just like everyone else, but lay off a bit. Crooked car dealers are the worst and it is unfortunate that your Mom had to go through this.

Quote:
...I dont get all wound up and animated...

I call BS!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Because of your mother's age you might consider contacting your state's Attorney General office ... usually there are actually some good laws on the books to help seniors avoid issues like these and actually levy some monetary fines at the dealership ... what state is your mom from?

If the manager does not make it right I would put in a compaint with the BBB and with the AG's office ... and if I was really pissed I would see if a local paper or news show would do a story on it ... they love to do this kind of thing and actually could do one of those hidden camera things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu
Okay, First of all I need to state that there really are some good car dealers that are honest before I start my story.

My mother, who lives in Evergreen Co.(I live in Tulsa), who is 64 and single goes to the Lexus Dealership in Golden to have some service work done on her 2000 RX 300 (104,000miles). Well she is walking around in the parking lot looking at used cars, and a salesmen comes to her and ask which on she likes. Well there is a 2004 RX 330 on the lot.

He shows her the vehicle and of course she likes it. They go to his office to try to make a sale. She states that she would like the salemen to call her son (me) to discuss. She hands him my business card and he states that no one is in my office today and she will have to do this herself. (lie.)

Long story short he agrees to sell her the vehicle for $35,500 and only give her $9K for her vehicle. She leave a deposit but says she will not sign any papers till she speaks with me. She gets home and calls me at my office, (imagine that). I pull the car up on their website and guess what. They are asking $31,950.........

I call the salesmen and asked why he is trying to sell her a car for $3500 more that they are asking. He states he did not know that the car was priced at that and since my mother agreed to the $35,500 that was what they were going to sell it to her.

Long story short, I called my mother and had her put a stop payment on the deposit and she called the sales mgr and told him to shove it.

Sorry I am still so pissed off that they would take that much advantage of a older women.

Doug

Last edited by PendO; 06-29-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
This is the exact (or one of the) reason that I will only go through the Internet person. The last 4 experiences have been fantastic purchasing through these individuals at 3 different dealerships. "This is the car, this is the price, let me know." and they leave you alone.

I'm very sorry that she had to go through that.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
http://www.atg.wa.gov/releases/rel_A...to_081602.html

here is a link to a story from my state ... it is an old article b/c the AG at the time is now our state's Governor ... but I think you will find the AG's office a big help if the stop payment does not work.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcampbe7

I call BS!
I only get animated and wound up when people are ******* with me on here!

Quote:
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Anyone watch Family Guy. There is a sleezey salesman in there, and this guy just reminded my of him.