Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-30-2006, 10:28 PM
David Samson

Question General Maintenance

Just purchased a 1995 Mastercraft 225 Maristar. Looking for tips for replacing entine fluids (motor oil, transmission fluid, vdrive fluid). I purchased a drill pump for removing the transmission and vdrive fluid, but I am not sure how to remove the engine oil. I see a hose which to pump out the oil, but my question is do I stick the suction tube down this hose, or do I try to hook this hose up to the drill pump?

Also, is the fluid levels in the transmission and vdrive checked while engine is running or turned off?

I know this is simple stuff, but I want to make sure to keep the boat in as good shape as possible.

Thanks,

David
Old 06-30-2006, 10:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
oil Hose

The hose should have a nut on the end. Stick the hose thru your hull at the drain, and open her up and drain the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Samson
Just purchased a 1995 Mastercraft 225 Maristar. Looking for tips for replacing entine fluids (motor oil, transmission fluid, vdrive fluid). I purchased a drill pump for removing the transmission and vdrive fluid, but I am not sure how to remove the engine oil. I see a hose which to pump out the oil, but my question is do I stick the suction tube down this hose, or do I try to hook this hose up to the drill pump?

Also, is the fluid levels in the transmission and vdrive checked while engine is running or turned off?

I know this is simple stuff, but I want to make sure to keep the boat in as good shape as possible.

Thanks,

David
Old 06-30-2006, 10:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
Check fluids with engine hot and off.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:57 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Run the engine before you change the fluids. Will be much quicker that way. If you're using the drain hose, then what stumble posted is the way to go. With a pump (at least the one I have), you shove the little plastic tube down the dipstick hole and pump it out.

As for checking it, ideally, you'll check the levels on the water. That's the level position for checking fluids.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:41 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Samson

Usually, the V-drive is the transmission. I mention this in case you might start looking around to change the V-drive fluid after changing the transmission oil.

The prescribed method for changing engine oil is to drop that hose, which comes off the lowest point of the oil pan, through the hull-drain and empty by gravity. However, if the oil is at operating temperature as recommended, it will come out equally well with your suction device, so you could actually change the oil on the water, in a boat lift, or otherwise avoid a drip pan if you wanted to. You may need to pick up a few dollars worth of brass plumbing fittings at your local hardware store, depending on what kind of hose and fittings your oil-change suction device has.