Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-16-2016, 02:49 AM

Boat: 06 X30
These DVRs are based on Dahua brand DVR which has a built in Linux OS.

http://www.securitycameraking.com/8-...s-201-ctg.html

I think you can do so much better then the box sets that sames has. When I first was learning about the systems I quickly came to know that most of the box sets are pretty low end.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:29 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
These DVRs are based on Dahua brand DVR which has a built in Linux OS.

http://www.securitycameraking.com/8-...s-201-ctg.html

I think you can do so much better then the box sets that sames has. When I first was learning about the systems I quickly came to know that most of the box sets are pretty low end.
Another issue with pre-packaged setups is that they're based on what the seller wants as a price point. Cameras are made by a few manufacturers, even though it may be possible to find over a hundred brands, so they may look the same on the outside, but the CCD (Charge-Coupled Device) might be really good on one, but much smaller and unable to provide a decent image in another. Even if the rest of the camera is the same, the video will be basically useless. Some companies offer cameras for these budget systems and after the warranty or production run is over, it may not be possible to find a replacement camera because it may not even be compatible with the new models of DVR. It will connect the same way, but the changes in technology that have come at an ever-faster rate are making it difficult to know if they're compatible, unless the specs are inspected closely. However, the DVRs are made to be backward-compatible, so that's a good thing. Also, the DVRs are able to record at a higher resolution than the cameras from the same production year (if they're placed similarly in the product line), so buying cameras that are one or two generations newer won't be a problem.

If the equipment is made for the professional market, it tends to be compatible for at least ten years because that market demands it- shopping club (Costco, Sam's, Menard's, etc) equipment may be OK, but it won't have the same warranty, CCD/lens/software quality and features.

There's a big problem with online sellers who aren't authorized by the manufacturers, too. They tell people about the equipment and warranty, but the manufacturer will specifically state that these sellers are not part of their dealer network, often listing the major offenders.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I am definately looking for lower end, pricing too. I currently have several motion activated game cameras in place but I have to remember to download from the SIM card ... just looking for surveillance a bit more real time with motion activated, storage for a month or so (if that), I could likely get by with 4 cameras but the distance is one of my biggest problems getting out to the lot where I keep trailers & equipment (at least 150 feet from house), I'd just like to know if someone is snooping around.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
One thing I found out the hard way yesterday at home. Despite having very good surge protection on all outlets, I did not have anything on the devices that are stationed outside (i.e. cameras). We had a lightning storm and my modem, two 24 port gigabit POE switches, a computer, several NICs in other computers, an access point, and half a dozen cameras are no longer working. Total cost of $3000 to fix, and that doesn't include the several hours it's taken and will take over the next few days to reinstall.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj_mastercraft View Post
One thing I found out the hard way yesterday at home. Despite having very good surge protection on all outlets, I did not have anything on the devices that are stationed outside (i.e. cameras). We had a lightning storm and my modem, two 24 port gigabit POE switches, a computer, several NICs in other computers, an access point, and half a dozen cameras are no longer working. Total cost of $3000 to fix, and that doesn't include the several hours it's taken and will take over the next few days to reinstall.
Yeah, the thing about lightning is that even some surge protection can't do enough. If the strike was close enough, it's possible that the surge came in from different paths, like power AND camera cables, over category cable, etc. I use a laptop because I don't like the idea of a desktop that's connected to power without something to absorb or fail because of the surge, like the usual laptop supply. There's really no easy way to be totally protected from lightning but a good way to protect is with a whole-house device at the panel and local surge protection strips (or a rack-mount unit, if it's for an AV system or structured wiring) for the spikes that come from motors/pumps in refrigerators, HVAC, garage doors and other high current users.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
I have a whole house device at the panel, and all equipment in the house is behind enterprise level surge equipment. I'm pretty confident it came in via the network, as I can trace the damage through any device plugged into a network jack.

It's possible I would have been fried regardless, but I did order a few in-line protectors for the network devices that are outside and distanced from the house.