Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-31-2016, 12:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC, SS, 1981 new PCM 5.7L
1981 S&S - windshield glazing and side plexipanels

I am near the end of a restoration of a 1981 S&S. I gutted the boat completely. New stringers, new bilge glass, new gelcoat, new motor (5.7L PC), new trailer, etc, etc. I do have the original square windshield and frame. They are in good shape but the side Taylor Made plexiglass panels and all the vinyl glazing (molding/gasket) must be replaced. Any suggestions on where I can get the plexiglass and glazing. Anyone know what the part numbers were for the different glazing sizes. Appears to be a couple of different sizes.

Also looking for a teak swim platform (new or used) that can replace the fiberglass one.

And if anyone is making custom parts such as the front and rear vent covers I am interested in purchasing.

Suggestions or comments more than welcome.

Thanks for reading and replying.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Side Windows

The side panels can be reproduced by any Plastics shop (TAP etc.) Just drill out the rivets in the frame and give them to the shop to be used as templates.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCurmudgeon View Post
I am near the end of a restoration of a 1981 S&S. I gutted the boat completely. New stringers, new bilge glass, new gelcoat, new motor (5.7L PC), new trailer, etc, etc. I do have the original square windshield and frame. They are in good shape but the side Taylor Made plexiglass panels and all the vinyl glazing (molding/gasket) must be replaced. Any suggestions on where I can get the plexiglass and glazing. Anyone know what the part numbers were for the different glazing sizes. Appears to be a couple of different sizes.

Also looking for a teak swim platform (new or used) that can replace the fiberglass one.

And if anyone is making custom parts such as the front and rear vent covers I am interested in purchasing.

Suggestions or comments more than welcome.

Thanks for reading and replying.
Everything you need is on the forum. Information is scattered about but all parts and sources are posted. Even the custom parts. Search around. I am winding up a restoration on an 81 as well. Started at the same point as your project. No new engine (not a keeper for me) but it is fun working on these things.

I'd like to find a rounded windshield... mine has a bit of crazing.. I can live with it but would like to find a windshield in better condition.

I'd like to see a few pictures of where you went through the floor with the cables, electrical, and ventilation.

I left the front under-deck open and added flooring. No foam went back in and I also put in an underfloor bulkhead, so I was hoping to see any options on floor breach location for placement of the under-floor components.

I'd also like to see that new engine sitting where my favorite 351W used to be....

Last edited by waterlogged882; 07-31-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC, SS, 1981 new PCM 5.7L
Waterlogged882 - Thanks for the suggestion. I found the Information Library and that is a great resource. I will post pics in the next few weeks as we start the install of the 5.7L PCM. It did require I put in 4" exhaust and new exhaust flanges and flappers. I took the floor completely out and reinforced each stringer since they are wood and had some rot. We took out the rot and replaced and then glassed the heck out of it. Much stronger than when new. All glass work and the new gelcoat has been done by a local company that specializes in fiberglass boat repair. The boat looks brand new. Incredible. Very good quality of workmanship.

Engine is still in the crate and trailer is a new dual axle.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190

Last edited by waterlogged882; 08-09-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Tags
moldings, parts