Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-01-2018, 06:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
Waterproof Ear Plugs

Long story short I ended up rupturing my right eardrum and Eustachian tube on Sunday and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for waterproof ear plugs.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
Long story short I ended up rupturing my right eardrum and Eustachian tube on Sunday and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for waterproof ear plugs.
Ouch, and +1 for me too.

I can't keep my head under water for long periods of time or else I can't hear out of my left ear for 7-10 days after. It's extremely annoying.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 x-30, 6.2, gen2
I have tried a few different kinds, but actually just like the ones I got at Big 5. I just use them for lap swimming, but they stay in well, easy to remove and seem to stay clean.

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/st...2#.WujtN6Qvy70
Old 05-01-2018, 06:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Ouch, and +1 for me too.

I can't keep my head under water for long periods of time or else I can't hear out of my left ear for 7-10 days after. It's extremely annoying.
I can't submerge mine until it's fully healed (1-3 months) but I'd like to be able to at least surf in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post
I have tried a few different kinds, but actually just like the ones I got at Big 5. I just use them for lap swimming, but they stay in well, easy to remove and seem to stay clean.

Thanks, I'll check those out!
Old 05-01-2018, 06:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 XT21 6000GDI
Ear Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post

Yep, these.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
Having been there before, I don't recommend an ear plug while you're trying to heal. The pressure you put on your ear drum while putting something water tight on will make it harder for the super thin tympanic membrane to heal. I did this and ended up having to have surgery to fix mine after a few months of it not sealing up.
Terrible time of year for this to happen!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM

Boat: No Boat
What about getting custom molded ear plugs? You know that type kids get made if they have tubes put in their ears.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 05-01-2018, 09:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 30th Anniversary Prostar 190
One of my kids had a friend at the lake last year that had ear issues since he was young. I think he might even be deaf in one ear. He forgot his ear plugs so we stopped at the store on the way. He purchased these moldable silicone plugs. They seemed to work very well and for him. Good luck and heal fast.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mack-s-Pi...-0-CT/10312302
Old 05-01-2018, 09:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunderw View Post
Having been there before, I don't recommend an ear plug while you're trying to heal. The pressure you put on your ear drum while putting something water tight on will make it harder for the super thin tympanic membrane to heal. I did this and ended up having to have surgery to fix mine after a few months of it not sealing up.
Terrible time of year for this to happen!
I completely get where youre coming from there. I wont be able to use anything until the swelling goes down, but I would like something that can at least let me surf down the road.

And youre right, awful timing. Im hoping that it heals fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
What about getting custom molded ear plugs? You know that type kids get made if they have tubes put in their ears.
I dont think its worth doing anything custom for the amount of time Ill be needing them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
One of my kids had a friend at the lake last year that had ear issues since he was young. I think he might even be deaf in one ear. He forgot his ear plugs so we stopped at the store on the way. He purchased these moldable silicone plugs. They seemed to work very well and for him. Good luck and heal fast.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mack-s-Pi...-0-CT/10312302
Thanks, Ill check those out!
Old 05-02-2018, 01:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Definitely would agree with this. Even if its for a short time you have them forever, and they make for great ear plugs next time you find yourself at a gun range. The problem with going with anything cheaper is the risk of them coming out on an awkward fall. You don't want Lake Lewisville water getting in there, and idk if Lake Worth is much better.

Whatever you decide, feel better and decide quickly so we can go surf next weekend.