Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
Tacoma owners

I am considering a Toyota Tacoma as my daily driver. I already have a new Tahoe to tow my X2, but would like to ask about the tacoma.

It may be used for light towing, like a 2 place snowmobile trailer, etc... anything under 3k lbs.

Any concerns? about comfort, MPG, reliability, towing? Probably looking at a used 4 door model from 2013 to present, but probably not a new one. As i said, this will be my daily driver to work, up north, hunting etc...
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Great..... now we have to listen to Aric fan-girl over his Tacoma all day....
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
I had used a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4 door model 4x4...to pull a Prostar...All it good do maybe pull 65 miles per hour...used every gear to get on the highway, no torque with a Toyota to pull. When not pulling Toyota Tacoma lacks power unless you smash the pedal to the floor and still lacks. Wouldn't have it on a busy road or anything with hills, maybe to take to the boat launch a few blocks away. They look good, But better choices out their, maybe full size Toyota? Others can chime N

Oh and the gas milage was very poor, with or without a boat...disappointed there also.

On the plus, a comfortable ride.
Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
I've daily driven a Tacoma for the last 15 years, had an '03 with 190k miles, only 1 non-scheduled maintenance issue, a seal on the A/C compressor, cost $100. Have a '14 now with 70k miles and 0 non-scheduled maintenance. Both were 4 doors, the 4.0L in the current one has way more power than the old 3.4L. I tow a utility trailer and an aluminum fishing boat, both in the 3-4k range, with no problems.

I really can't think of a better all purpose vehicle. Excellent reliability, I've got 3 car seats across the back, and a decent size bed to haul stuff. I guess gas mileage isn't great, I average 18-19 in mixed driving, but the reliability is totally worth it to me.
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedrum03 View Post
Great..... now we have to listen to Aric fan-girl over his Tacoma all day....
Haha. I do like my Tacoma.

The Tacoma has been a great daily driver (Iíve got a 17, I much prefer the 3rd gen over the 2nd) if you keep it stock and keep it under 75 on the highway you can get great mileage. Would I buy another one? Only if it was my second vehicle to a diesel because of the trailers I tow.

The 3.5 in the 2016+s are Atkinsonís cycle meaning you really have to rev the piss out of it to get to the power. I dont really mind it, but itís annoying to some. All in all, itís a great truck for daily driving, off-roading and very LIGHT towing.
Attached Images

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
My wife wants one bad. Likes everything about the truck. One problem, sheís 5í and the seats donít have a height adjustment. She doesnít feel like she can see out of it.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Why not consider the Colorado diesel and retire the Tahoe? It's worth a test drive if you are looking for a truck that size. I would not have an issue towing the X2 with one and would give you the option to have just one truck. New taco is is a great truck but the new GM offerings win IMO if you get them with a Diesel. Can't say that I am the biggest fan of either of the new models with the gas V6 because both GM/Toyota models have car like power bands, like Aric mentioned.

Laura isn't far from you and historically has the best no haggle pricing on GMCs.
laurabuickgmc.com
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
Check out https://www.tacomaworld.com/

Aric and I are both pretty active over there. Just keep in mind that the body style and engine changed for the 2016 model year. I have a 4Runner so I can speak to the power of the 4.0L in the 13-15, but nothing about the truck itself.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
Why not consider the Colorado diesel and retire the Tahoe? It's worth a test drive if you are looking for a truck that size. I would not have an issue towing the X2 with one and would give you the option to have just one truck. New taco is is a great truck but the new GM offerings win IMO if you get them with a Diesel. Can't say that I am the biggest fan of either of the new models with the gas V6 because both GM/Toyota models have car like power bands, like Aric mentioned.

Laura isn't far from you and historically has the best no haggle pricing on GMCs.
laurabuickgmc.com
Would never do that. Need the tahoe for traveling, and trips too with the family. Not just the towing. I jsut don't need two full size vehicles.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001
Most days I spend an hour to and from work, some days longer, because Nashville is "the IT city" -- please don't move here. It is a very comfortable, nice daily driver. I got the long bed dp that it will hold a slalom ski longways.

Sometimes parking it sucks in a city because of its length. Also, my shorter wheel beds are easier to back a boat with.

Great truck. Can't compare it to many others though -- last truck was an Explorer sport trac.