Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_craig View Post
Eggers - Is this the right gasket and adhesive to replace the felt?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WOOD-STOVE-GASKE...3286.m20.l1116
Yup. That's it.

Look here, if you haven't already seen it...

http://nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm
Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X-15, 1993 Prostar S&S
New Egg Cart

Thought I would share my recent project. I was trying to customize the standard table, a little longer, bigger wheels, etc. The nest is just too hard to move in and out of the garage and across the yard. This is an improvement, but still very heavy. I moved the egg in towards the center a little bit to provide more table top on both sides of the cart, but it makes the whole gig harder to move.

BTW, I had the best brisket ever at a party a couple weeks ago. Kobe beef, rubbed, injected, slow smoked. I got a couple secrets from the San Antonio cook. Unbelievable.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2009, 10:10 PM
MC Platinum

Nice! Here's a couple of tips from my experience...

- add a sheet of aluminum flashing from under your support paving stone and over the edge of lower shelf in front of the lower vent. Otherwise, you'll get ash all over the wood there.

- add some hooks along the front edge to hang the grill and the grill-scrubber on. It seemed I was always looking for somewhere to put the grill when I took it off the egg.

- consider adding a crossbar across the end opposite of the wheels and attach an appropriate hitch so you can pull it behind your lawn tractor

- I found that ultimately the weight of the thing would crush solid wheels, or at least create a flat spot and the cart would then be off-kilter and wobble. I ended up using pneumatic wheels so the thing wouldn't crush the solid rubber, and adding or removing air allowed for better leveling.

- add a bottle opener, for those more upscale beer bottles that don't have twist-off caps

- add some kind of light. I put on one of these and it works great - has stood up to big rains and Minnesota winters.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Nice work. I have a cart and have done most of Mac's suggestions: hooks for grill and tools; bottle opener; flashing; light; etc. My small is in a nest.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Pizza question

Trying that tonight. Per Big Mac's instructions, using plate setter, then grill, then stone. 600 degrees for fresh (not frozen) crust? Preheat the stone with the grill, or will it get too hot and burn crust? Will try the crust 2-3 min then flip and add toppings. Done that in the oven before and it works great.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_craig View Post
Trying that tonight. Per Big Mac's instructions, using plate setter, then grill, then stone. 600 degrees for fresh (not frozen) crust? Preheat the stone with the grill, or will it get too hot and burn crust? Will try the crust 2-3 min then flip and add toppings. Done that in the oven before and it works great.
Make the pizza on the stone first then put it on the grill. If you do it the other way you WILL burn the crust.

Take a spatula and turn the pizza on the stone during cooking too.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2009, 04:34 PM
MC Platinum

I have burned the crust, but not since I started putting the grill in between the plate setter and the stone. I think that decreased directly transmitted heat to the stone (conduction), and the stone heats by the hot air (convection) therefore less burning

The whole pizza thing is kind of an arcane art. The purpose of the stone is to hold moisture from the cooking pizza. I've found that if the stone isn't preheated, by the time the toppings are crispy, the crust is soggy.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
Make the pizza on the stone first then put it on the grill. If you do it the other way you WILL burn the crust.

Take a spatula and turn the pizza on the stone during cooking too.
C'mon...! Freaking Grill Dome guys telling us how to cook!

If you do what Mac suggests you'll be fine.

Gotta go turn the chicken.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Tough night on the Egg. Couldn't decide if I should preheat the stone or not. Looks like Maristar does not use the plate setter (in the pic anyway) so maybe that causes the burn. We usually preheat for oven pizza cooking. Anyway, I went about half-way, afraid it would burn, I preheated about five minutes. Beautiful crust on the outside, pudding in the middle. To top that, my felt gasket fell off mid-pizza. Yep, top and bottom became attached and pulled off both sides. I hit 600 preheating, but only ran about 450 during cooking. Oh well, I guess that gasket won't be so difficult to remove

I bought the Rutland gasket, just haven't installed it yet. Will have to get that done before the weekend.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriEOD View Post
C'mon...! Freaking Grill Dome guys telling us how to cook!

If you do what Mac suggests you'll be fine.

Gotta go turn the chicken.
Where is my MP-5 Brian?