Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2018, 05:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14, 40th Anniversary Edition, MCX w/ Powerslot
Calling all internet marine mechanics :-)

I have 2008 x-14 with MCX and powerslot with approximately 170 hours.

Here’s my issues:

2nd time I put it in the water, got up on plane “Service Required warning” on Vdig came on, boat went to limp mode (no more than 3000 RPM). I turned boat off, turned back on, warning went away, ran for a little (couple of minutes), got above 3000 rpm, then warning came back on, back to limp mode. Turned off again, sat for 10 minutes, ran blower. Boat started up ran fine rest of day. Ran perfectly fine next couple of weeks.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. Put boat back in water, right at boat dock, “service required warning” came on. Idled to dock 100 yards away, parked boat. Next morning, boat fired up, no issues next 2 days.

At this point during warnings, oil pressure always above 40psi at idle (60+ Psi at speed), 13.5-14V on battery. Engine temp 155-162ish. At this point I spoke to an MC dealer,he said “service required warning” was only a 100 hr oil change reminder and told me how to clear it on Vdig. He also said the “service required warning” should not put in to limp mode. He said only thing that would put boat to limp mode was engine temp or CAT issue.

Next day went out for night time ride, nothing more than 7 mph. “Check Engine Warning” on Vdig came on, engine temp spiked to 200, for 30 seconds, then went back to 160.

No issues the rest of that weekend.

This week, boat went to “service required” again and went to Limp mode (not above 3000 rpm). Turned boat off, worked fine, after that.

This morning, fired boat up and both the “Check engine” and “service required” warning came on before I ever put boat in gear. All gauges read normal 13.5V, 50PSI at idle, 60 PSI if throttle engaged. Engine temp is 155-166. I’ve reset oil service required, I’ve run gauge diagnostics in VdIv, I’ve disconnect battery positive terminal, cycled on/off 3 or 4 times, but it immediately turns back on with “Check Engine Warning” and is in limp mode.

I tried to get an appt at SML Mastercraft, but they have not called me back. I tried to schedule appt online on the MC site, nothing. MC Care did call me back, and said the dealer should call me back with 24-48 hours, but my vacation will be over, and I’ll just take to new local MC dealer in Raleigh.

Just wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts before I take to the dealership and get blasted.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:04 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
You need need get the DLC/CAN codes read. Those will tell you what's going on.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 06-28-2018, 06:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krw1225 View Post
He also said the “service required warning” should not put in to limp mode. He said only thing that would put boat to limp mode was engine temp or CAT issue.

Next day went out for night time ride, nothing more than 7 mph. “Check Engine Warning” on Vdig came on, engine temp spiked to 200, for 30 seconds, then went back to 160.
this is gonna be a wild guess... but i wonder if theres a cat/temp issue that youre only occasionally seeing show up as high engine temp on the gauge, but there isnt enough flow at the cats causing them to overheat.
maybe some kind of blockage at the pickup, or issue with a cooling line to the cats....

but as mentioned you need to get the codes read. thats what theyre there for - to guide the diagnostics. definitely start there.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 X Star LY6
It sounds crazy, but mine was doing the same thing for a while. I tried everything. Ended up changing the fuel filter, and haven't had a problem since.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
this is gonna be a wild guess... but i wonder if theres a cat/temp issue that youre only occasionally seeing show up as high engine temp on the gauge, but there isnt enough flow at the cats causing them to overheat.
maybe some kind of blockage at the pickup, or issue with a cooling line to the cats....

but as mentioned you need to get the codes read. thats what theyre there for - to guide the diagnostics. definitely start there.
Didn't think cats came until 2012

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 07:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14, 40th Anniversary Edition, MCX w/ Powerslot
I’m a novice, but don’t think my 2008 has cats, as it appears to be straight pipes out the back, JohnE can confirm though.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post

pretty sure cats started in 07 with the mcx engine and up. but I have been wrong before.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '08 X14
My ‘08 x14 with MCX has CATS.

Don’t know what to tell you on your issue though, please keep us posted!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:05 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
pretty sure cats started in 07 with the mcx engine and up. but I have been wrong before.
There are even some late 06 model builds that are CAT MEFI 5 builds.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
Where was the filter located on your model ?