Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft NXT 22
My NXT 22 Customer Review (+ video)

VIDEO REVIEW - https://youtu.be/fbLrodRu6cI

Hey everyone,

I hope your season has been awesome so far! I've been off and on these forums for over a decade.

My parents picked up an NXT 22 last season. I just got around to uploading a video review with my thoughts. I get pretty amped up with my commentary - just a heads up!

In all seriousness though, we have really enjoyed our time with the NXT 22, and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. When we purchased our boat, the 22 was relatively new. I found it difficult to find concrete information on the surfing/wakeboarding. I'm hoping my video will help answer those questions. Bill at Current WaterSports was very helpful in the selection process. If any of you are in the Cincinnati area, I highly recommend checking them out.

If video reviews aren't your thing, I've typed a few things I love below..

- Appearance - Simple, yet modern with matching style throughout. I really dig the graphics on the swim platform/ step up and how they compliment each other. MASSIVE storage options, open and roomy cabin/bow, the list goes on and on…The gelcoat sparkle my parents went with really make it pop as well.

- Performance/Functionality - Simple. My father wanted nothing to do with touchscreens. It all works and gets the job done. Sturdy tower, stable board racks, large bimini, straightforward dash controls. We went with the standard engine and have had zero issues so far. With wakeboarding, under a heavy load we have used the center "attitude" tab to help level out off starts.

- Surf Performance - Out of the box, I've had zero issues surfing this wave and progressing on tricks. We opted for the gen2 surf package (2,140 lbs) which adds two additional overflow soft sacs to the port and starboard storage (GET THIS OPTION). Generally I ride 10.4 to 10.6 and use the stock ballast (all full) and run the tab at 100%. The wave has plenty of push and is somewhat mellow (which I prefer). I've found to get a steeper wave messing with the center tab does the trick. Adding additional weight/passengers to the side being surfed also helps. Adding several passengers or a fatsac (or two) which store easily out of sight under the seats will definitely take the wave to new levels.

- Wakeboarding - With all ballast full I rode at 20 mph with a 60 ft line (should go 65 probably). Wakes are thick and rampy, with a slightly abrupt transition. I think this is because of the two additional optional gen 2 sacs in the rear. I believe if these weren't filled, or passengers sat in the bow (or a sac there), the transition wouldn't be as abrupt. It's also more so a preference thing, and I can't complain because I landed my backroll first try last time I was out (this is good for me). So in a nutshell, the wakes are massive with factory ballast and I don't feel the need to throw in more bags.

- Ski - So far my brother has only done slalom briefly, but it's definitely possible. We had all ballast empty and used the center tab to flatten out the wake. The wakes were surprisingly small at faster speeds with the help of the tab for the sheer size of this boat.

We only have a few minor complaints with the NXT so far.

The throttle seems too stiff. Luckily, we usually use the zero off, so this isn't a huge deal. The throttle also seems too delayed. Engaging in gear/reverse takes longer than what our 190 had. Has anyone else experienced this?

The material on the rear platform gets HOT in intense sun. Just be ready, or splash it with water first. The teak option definitely would have prevented this, but we really liked the style of the default NXT platform. The same can be said for the cool touch fabric. I'm sure it is indeed cooler, but I can tell you the rear sunpad was scorching last weekend. Granted, the heat index was over 100 degrees, so it may be silly to be complaining.

The rub pad on the bimini - it's a great idea and indeed works.. however, I wish it wrapped around more. Our fabric is showing slight wear on the sides from the surf rope dragging.

The rubber lining on the board rack forks are pulling out, specifically in the areas where it curves. I don't see it completely coming out anytime soon or in need of replacement. Worth noting though. We had the same challenge with our Wakesetter racks. We were bummed the NXT didn't have the clamping rack option - great racks..

Lastly, some options that I wish would have been standard, like a boat cover or board racks.. are not. I guess that's the price you pay when you go with the no thrills straight forward boat. I will say we purchased the boat during the winter around boat show season. I recommend going this route to save big - it really helped keep the total near the starting price even with added options like a heater, tracking fins, and a transom audio head unit.

All in all we are loving our NXT 22. It offers plenty of surf and wake with minimal effort right out of the box while still retaining MasterCraft quality.

I cover some items in more detail in the video, but hopefully this information will help you out. My biggest advice is to just demo a few before jumping all in. Feel free to post any questions you may have. I'll do my best to answer them for you!

I'll update this thread with more thoughts or feedback down the road if necessary.

VIDEO REVIEW https://youtu.be/fbLrodRu6cI
Old 07-11-2018, 10:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
stopped reading when you described an nxt22 wake as massive with stock ballast =P

Glad you like the boat. i really like the new tower on the 18s!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 NXT22
I’d have to agree with pretty much everything you reviewed. I came from a 06 malibu, so only having that to compare to I thought the surf wave was monsterous. Of course when I see a x23 going by on the lake, there is an obvious difference. But the NXT22 is still a HUGE jump up in performance for me.
I agree with your surf, appearance and functionality reviews. We have 5.7 too and it’s been a beast. Clamping racks would be nice. But to be honest, for me I would take hinged seats over any other option if it ever became available
Good review! Interested in watching your video. .
I haven’t wakeoarded or skied begind it myself, so I’ll just take your word for that stuff.
I think the new tower and Bimini solve the wear issue from the rope.
All in all, like you I think it’s a great boat.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2015 X20 SS
nice review.
Very detailed , espeically for someone not familiar with MCs or WakeBoats

Note- you DO NOT HAVE Cool Feel Interior.

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 07-11-2018, 09:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I disagree with wakeboard comment. The stock wave with gen2 is lacking. It gets pretty good with more weight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 11:53 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
I disagree with wakeboard comment. The stock wave with gen2 is lacking. It gets pretty good with more weight.

I'm sure it's fine at the Slower speeds he stated.
But if you want to ride 10.8-11 mph or more, it would like do better with some extra lead and Fat Crew

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I was referring to the wakeboard wake. They asked me if I wanted to surf and I said no thanks, so I can't comment on on that one, ha.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
A pretty cool review, nice work on the video too. Just an aside, you reference your parents actually purchased this boat, if I may ask - how old are you?
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Old 07-12-2018, 09:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 NXT 22
Nice review and great energy in the video.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 AM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
A pretty cool review, nice work on the video too. Just an aside, you reference your parents actually purchased this boat, if I may ask - how old are you?
"Real Life Spartan" is a YouTuber , self promoting/ product reviewing personality.

His videos are on the light hearted if not comical side. Harmless.

I don't know his age but I would guess 30 based on videos.

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS