Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 07:40 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2015 X20 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post

It will be interesting to see how close Malibu allows Cobalt to get to surf wave performance as it could dramatically cannibalize Malibu sales.
I think Malibu will do what ever it can to save Cobalt and diversify its holdings.
Letting Cobalt get a good Surf Wave is no different than licensing out SURFGATE to Chaparral or Even AXIS. Except Axis and Cobalt are owned by BU.

I think they are playing it smart.

CC and even MC are expanding there boat lines out too with BowRiders and Center Consoles

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 07-11-2018, 08:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X30; 2012 X15 (sold)
My advice is pick a boat for the water sports and not the ride. I had a Regal 2500 at one point that I loved. 65mph top speed and cut through waves like butter, but everyone in the family got bored with it when tubing got boring and the kids (and my wife and I) wanted to progress to more (we could wakeboard behind it, but not much of a wake). My first MC was an X15 that I loved, but it was pretty bad in the chop. My X30 does great in the chop at 30-35 mph, and I don't really feel the need to cruise anywhere any faster than that anyway. I'm sure the XT series boats are at least as good if not better, and they are decent ski boats. Take them for a test ride and check out the cruising ability. I bet you will be surprised by how good they are, and then you've got a boat that will open a lot of possibilities for you on the water that an R5 will never do.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT22
I wanted to demo an R5 surf last weekend but couldn't get the dealer to give me a ride. Just sitting in the boat in the showroom I felt like MC had better fit and finish, although the Cobalt was still top notch. My parents have a Cobalt 262 WSS (replaced by the R7) and it seems like the vinyl has aged a little worse than MC vinyl. Besides that, no complaints on the Cobalts. The volvo drivetrain has been rock solid. I know the Volvo forward drive is new but I haven't heard of anyone having issues with it.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
The real question you should be asking yourself is how much time do you spend cruising vs riding? Really, how many times can you go out and plow around on a boat siteseeing? Once you get a decent activity boat, I think you'll find you'll either cruise less, or just use it to ski/surf/board more. Unless all you're interested in is pulling the kids on a floaty - and wrecking our smooth water - or ocean running, the choice should be easy. The kids will definately make the decision for you...Last, am I the only one spooked about surfing behind an I/O? Its inevitable you'll get close to that drive while riding...
Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
I would be especially worried about the forward facing drive on KY lake. Not that a inboard is a bunch better but just look at the difference on each sitting on the trailer. The trailer bunks on the forward facing I/O boats look like they are on stilts so that there is enough clearance for the drive.

In the end the answer you are going to get from the mastercraft forums is one that should be expected. Both are great boats because they are made by great companies but Cobalt specializes in leisure style boats for cruising and MC specializes in performance wake boats.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 22 VLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashburn1 View Post
I think Malibu will do what ever it can to save Cobalt and diversify its holdings.
Letting Cobalt get a good Surf Wave is no different than licensing out SURFGATE to Chaparral or Even AXIS. Except Axis and Cobalt are owned by BU.

I think they are playing it smart.

CC and even MC are expanding there boat lines out too with BowRiders and Center Consoles
Was/is Cobalt in trouble? There are Cobalts all over midwest lakes. I was surprised when Malibu bought them but I never thought Cobalt was in trouble.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Just replying to the original question, I'd say the new XT25 is the boat you want. You'll have a slightly more rough ride in the chop than, say, an X23 or the Cobalt, but it ticks the other boxes. Plus it's super sexy.
2015 Ohio State Engineering, Back2Back B1G Champions
---------------------------------------
Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 Chaparral 257ssx
Thanks guys.

I have made initial contacts with a couple dealerships and am exploring the XT25. I like the interior layout of the X26 better, but sounds like the XT25 is going to be better for watersports.

Anyone have thoughts on the essential options that you would put on this boat? Which engine?
Has anyone had the black hull color? Recommend or not?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Black looks the best, you just have to wipe it down/ spray wax it everytime to battle the water spots

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2018 X26
X26 rear lounge seats are hard to beat! We surf mostly and it surfs great. Tried wake boarding behind it and my buddy and I both thought it was more than up to the task.

Engine - Iíve got the big 7.4 at the recommendation of my dealer. Glad I did, when fully loaded with 10 people, lead and ballast, it takes a bit to plane out wo dumping the ballast. Surfs fine, just talking about trying to run to another side of the lake wo offloading some water weight.

Black. I went black hull, black micah down the sides and a black strip on top of the rub rail. I donít bother too much w the black hull, but must wipe down the black strip up top. If I had it to do over again, I mightíve left this white. The metal flake colors donít show the spots much at all. Definitely consider some flake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk