Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
If you keep getti g infections your nose may grow polyps that clog your nose permanently. Surgery fixes it....don't ask how I know
Old 09-21-2018, 09:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

I suffer from it as to a large number of my ski friends. Nose clips or tape work but that is such a pain to do every time and the tape or clips come off in a hard fall. Most won't do deepwater barefoot starts anymore because of how miserable it makes them.

I saw an ENT and did have some nasal polyps removed, it's better now but still happens whenever I take any water up my nose.

I guess it's the price of skiing and just deal with it.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 02 MC X7
Same problem here. Nose plugs are the only solution that I have found. The family enjoys making fun of me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
I've been skiing on the same small lake/pond for over 30 years. In the last 5 or so I have the same sinus issues. If water went up my nose , it would run for days with the expected sneezes. I now tape my nose closed on every session. I'm thinking it might be they have started weed treatments or a different formula.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk View Post
Same problem here. Nose plugs are the only solution that I have found. The family enjoys making fun of me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to use nose plugs but speedo etc stopped making the rubber ones with the strap. The current type for competitive swimmers have no strap and won't stay on no matter what I do.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 ProStar 197, MCX, Sammy Duvall
I take loratadine (generic Claritin) tablets and haven't had the blocked sinuses syndrome since doing so (about 5 years now). I take one 10mg-tablet daily all year round. It is available over-the-counter and costs just $3 per month.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Same problem.. neti pot after a snoot full.. nasonex for me... the neti pot right after the set works best... i ski in a muddy river.. built up some tolerance.. early on it seemed like my head was going to explode.... now not so much...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
I use nasalcrom. Itís difficult to find and works fantastic. I also take Loratadine because it doesnít cause drowsiness.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
You don't want to think about all the crap that's floating in lake water.

Use a OTC nasal steroid spray daily during ski season (they're safe to use year-round if you think it helps) to block allergic response (Flonase, Rhinocort, Nasacort, Nasonex). NasalCrom spray is an oldie but a goodie, worth a try. There's no reason why you can't use Claritin/Zyrtec/Allegra daily during season; they're considered non-sedating, have <10% drowsiness rate and they have no problems with long-term use. Use a NetiPot or saline nasal spray immediately after skiing/footing to rinse out any lake debris. There's also no reason why you can't use Afrin occasionally, but it's NOT meant for daily use.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I've had similar, and it is pollen afaik. Doesn't affect me early in the season, but in july/ august, it is bad after a bad fall. I read here somewhere that if it is pollen, that local honey will prevent the reaction. fwiw. I haven't tried that though.
Local honey is supposed to contain trace pollen from the areas that are bothering you, so it's like taking allergy shots, over time. Allergy shots work better. Source: did both.