Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 07-16-2018, 10:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMLX26 View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum and the MC family. Have been coming to SML for years and pulled the trigger on a place here 3 summers ago.

Got an X26 from Charlotte MasterCraft this spring and have been enjoying it ever since. Boat got dialed in last week, and ready to keep playing.

Was there still interest in the MC get together later this summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im up to meet up sometime late this summer. Great Lake wknd wish they never ended

Old 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Realtor rec?

We're coming down in August from Northern VA for the third time in the last four summers and are starting to contemplate buying a place. We've poured over Trulia looking at options and have started to form some opinions on where on the lake we like.

Does anybody have any recommendations for good realtors who work in the area? We're thinking about taking a half day or day while we're there and looking at some places and would rather not just find somebody randomly online.

Realistically, we're probably a year away from any decision at this point.

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not reply in public.

Thanks very much!

Andy
Old 07-16-2018, 02:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2016 MasterCraft X26
Andy,

I would recommend Amelia Gerner who can be reached at [email protected]. She worked with me for several years before my wife and I finally pulled the trigger on a place at SML. She was super easy to work with, and provided great alternative options.

We settled on a place in Moneta near the bridge due to location from NOVA as we live in Bristow, VA and wanted to limit the time it would take us to get to the lake as we go down almost every weekend.

Penhook area I find has the best views from the lake for sunrise/sunset but can also get some great views from some spots in Huddleston. There are several places to get gas/food on the water but some of the locations are more convenient than others. Most areas will give you deep water at the dock (I have 12-14 on average) but you need to be careful as there could be up to a 6ft. Swing in water levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhoop View Post
Does anybody have any recommendations for good realtors who work in the area? We're thinking about taking a half day or day while we're there and looking at some places and would rather not just find somebody randomly online.

Realistically, we're probably a year away from any decision at this point.

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not reply in public.

Thanks very much!

Andy
My parents used Shirley Allen-McCall (https://www.longandfoster.com/ShirleyAllen-McCall). Similar situation to SMLX26 where they looked casually (once or twice a summer) for two or three years before pulling the trigger. She was very patient, and they are now friends and hang out. I helped them look, so I know her, and she is very nice. My parents bought off Smith Mountain Road in Penhook. They originally wanted to buy off Scruggs to be on the main channel and close to Westlake. In hindsight, they are very happy they expanded their search area to Penhook. The sunsets are incredible (see my profile picture), and there is less boat traffic (the main channel can be insane). It is easy to get out on the water and show off the mountain to friends or find flat water for water sports (see the conversation above about Bull Run). Rocky Mount is a good replacement for Westlake for grocery shopping and whatnot. There is almost nothing in Penhook as far as restaurants are concerned, so you either have to drive 30+ minutes by car or take your boat 10-20 minutes to a marina restaurant. If that is a priority, Moneta is definitely a better option. That said, there aren't many great restaurants in the area if you ask me, so we don't eat out much when down there. Huddleston has some lots with great mountain views, but it is pretty far from everything and the houses tend to be a little older/more dated.

Definitely take a look at the AEP Shoreline Management Plan (easy to find online) before looking so you have an idea about what you can do with your property after buying it. AEP is very strict about its rules below the 800' contour. Also, the rules about dock size are strict, so if you want a larger dock, make sure the property has at least 150' of shoreline.

I drive down pretty much every other weekend from DC, and it is about a 4:15-4:30 minute drive consistently (almost never traffic). Depending on where you are in NOVA, it might be less. I prefer 66 to 29 over the 495 route to avoid traffic. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if you want me to put you in touch with Shirley.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:35 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
I appreciate the recommendations and will likely contact at least one of them.

We're coming from Arlington, VA, and haven't ruled out the possibility of renting the place when we're not using it, so are focused on the North side of the lake. A couple of years ago we rented just above the bridge and liked that area, though the channel is busy because it's so narrow up there. Last year we were South of the bridge, but North of the state park and thought that was ok. We really like the Huddleston area and are renting down near there this year.

We haven't yet spent much time exploring the West side up towards Union Hall, so will probably do that this summer. That's not really an option as far as buying, though, as the drive would be a lot further.

Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
Quote:

We're coming from Arlington, VA, and haven't ruled out the possibility of renting the place when we're not using it, so are focused on the North side of the lake. A couple of years ago we rented just above the bridge and liked that area, though the channel is busy because it's so narrow up there. Last year we were South of the bridge, but North of the state park and thought that was ok. We really like the Huddleston area and are renting down near there this year.

We haven't yet spent much time exploring the West side up towards Union Hall, so will probably do that this summer. That's not really an option as far as buying, though, as the drive would be a lot further.

Thanks again!
A couple things. If you want to use it as a short-term rental, you might want to research that a bit (if you haven't already). I believe it is basically prohibited in Franklin county (not sure what it takes to get an exemption; some homes may also be grandfathered). Bedford County passed something recently to require permitting for short term rentals, but I believe they are still allowed (not sure how difficult they are to get or what restrictions might come with the permits). I don't think there are any rules in Pittsylvania County (parts of Penhook), but I could be wrong.

With regard to distance, I wouldn't rule out anywhere based on driving time from the DMV. It is only a 10-20 minute difference (or less) between getting to the bridge and getting just about anywhere else (the longest is probably the tip of Scruggs). While Penhook/Union Hall/Wirtz may look farther on a map, the travel time is similar because you can stay on highways longer and take slightly different routes. Just a thought (play around on google maps and you will see what I mean).
Old 07-18-2018, 03:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X-10
Quote:

Thanks again!

Consider the area where Blackwater and the Roanoke come together - IMO just up the BW is ideal. The extra 10-15 minutes to get there in the end may not be overly impactful when compared.
Best of luck in your search

Old 07-25-2018, 02:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 mastercraft x25
I have a 2011 Master Craft X25 for sale, boat currently on lift at SML if anyone knows of anyone interested in one, email me or call.
Chris
[email protected]
(336) 402-3923
Old 07-25-2018, 03:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Last edited by d2jp; 07-25-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
SUP hit on SML

Just saw this from last week, but 2 folks on SUP's near Christmas Tree island and one dove off the board just before the boat hit it!
https://amp.wsls.com/news/virginia/f...-mountain-lake
More details on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/debbie.yeat...2%3A%22O%22%7D
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA