Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-08-2018, 11:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30, Gen 2, 7.4L!!
Wetsounds equalizer problems

I have a wetsounds 420sq equalizer in my x30. Have 4 rev 10's, 8 stock jl cabin speakers, and 2 subs. I recently went to my boat to test out the stereo. When I start playing music the only speakers that were playing sound are the tower speaker (4 rev 10's) and the sub. None of the 8 cabin speakers play any sound. When I switched the tower speaker rca cables and the cabin speakers rca cables on the back of the eq the cabin speakers worked but not the tower speakers. All of the amps are getting power. I'm thinking it has something to do with the eq and not the amps. Please help and give any advice/solutions possible. Thanks
Old 05-08-2018, 11:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantman View Post
I have a wetsounds 420sq equalizer in my x30. Have 4 rev 10's, 8 stock jl cabin speakers, and 2 subs. I recently went to my boat to test out the stereo. When I start playing music the only speakers that were playing sound are the tower speaker (4 rev 10's) and the sub. None of the 8 cabin speakers play any sound. When I switched the tower speaker rca cables and the cabin speakers rca cables on the back of the eq the cabin speakers worked but not the tower speakers. All of the amps are getting power. I'm thinking it has something to do with the eq and not the amps. Please help and give any advice/solutions possible. Thanks

The 420 has the two knobs correct? Are you turning up the inner and outer part of the knob? Tower is usually the outer knob and the inner knob are the cabin speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 12:18 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by btriantos View Post
The 420 has the two knobs correct? Are you turning up the inner and outer part of the knob? Tower is usually the outer knob and the inner knob are the cabin speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like this. Has main volume and all of the adjustments.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 12:31 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
Sounds like you need to turn the outer ring around the main fade knob. The 420 has a main volume dial , Then the fader knob has the dial and a ring around the dial the ring around the dial is also a volume control (. It controls the other zone) which it sounds like it’s tuned down . Turn the outer ring all the way clockwise to and out the volume.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 05-09-2018, 12:45 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Sounds like you need to turn the outer ring around the main fade knob. The 420 has a main volume dial , Then the fader knob has the dial and a ring around the dial the ring around the dial is also a volume control (. It controls the other zone) which it sounds like itís tuned down . Turn the outer ring all the way clockwise to and out the volume.
There is a control for the boat/tower fade. That is in the middle so the volume for the tower and the volume for the boat is the same

Old 05-09-2018, 01:46 AM
MC Maniac

Souble

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
88 2001 Nautique
Old 05-09-2018, 01:53 AM
MC Maniac

So are you aware there are two adjustments on that fader knob ? One being the ring around it and one being the dial itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantman View Post
There is a control for the boat/tower fade. That is in the middle so the volume for the tower and the volume for the boat is the same

If you look in your picture the last 4 dials on the right have a white mark on the dial itself. This is to show you where the inboat adjustment portion is. The ring around the dial also has a white mark ( that ring will spin clockwise or counter clockwise as well) and that adjusts the tower portion. The same principle applies to the “fader knob “ marked boat/ tower. Make sure both the ring portion and the dial portion are turned completely clockwise. The fact you have that single dial right in the middle doesn’t mean it’s going to both the tower speaker and the in boats.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
88 2001 Nautique
Old 05-09-2018, 07:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
On the 420SQ, dial all the way left is main volume. It controls all 3 zones together.

to the right is a dual knob for the in-boat/tower. Inner/center knob is in-boat volume and outer ring is tower volume.

As long as the main knob is not all the way counter clock wise and the inner/center in-boat dial is not all the way counter clock wise, there will be in-boat volume output.

There is no fade dial, so the outer dial tower level will not effect the in-boat volume. The actual volume of the tower speakers can over power the in-boats, but the actual tower volume dial on the 420SQ has no effect on in-boats level

Odd to have both chnls go out as the same time. Id double check the actual voltage at the amp power cables. Id then grab a 3.5mm x rca and go right to the amp with my phone or mp3.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:33 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
On the 420SQ, dial all the way left is main volume. It controls all 3 zones together.

to the right is a dual knob for the in-boat/tower. Inner/center knob is in-boat volume and outer ring is tower volume.

As long as the main knob is not all the way counter clock wise and the inner/center in-boat dial is not all the way counter clock wise, there will be in-boat volume output.

There is no fade dial, so the outer dial tower level will not effect the in-boat volume. The actual volume of the tower speakers can over power the in-boats, but the actual tower volume dial on the 420SQ has no effect on in-boats level

Odd to have both chnls go out as the same time. Id double check the actual voltage at the amp power cables. Id then grab a 3.5mm x rca and go right to the amp with my phone or mp3.
Ok I will give it a try. I just ordered a 3.5mm to rca so I can plug my phone directly into the amp. Just talked to wetsounds and they said the equalizer dropped an amp so I ordered a new equalizer. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
If your original RCA swap test was accurate, that would be my conclusion as well.