Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-16-2018, 12:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X-10
Ballast recommendation

Hey guys, I have a 2002 x-10 that I am planning on pulling the 250lb rear hard tanks this winter and replacing with larger bags. Anyone have a recommendation on what size bags to put in? 750's big enough? Also with the added ballast will a bow bag be necessary as well or will the KGB be enough? Thanks! Love being a part of this community!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
I have the same hull. I have no factory ballast for reference on improvments or how much the kgb weight is. I know my boat loves bow weight with the 2 750's full in the rear.

I put 750's in the rear and are perfect and still give about 12" deep storage on top of them. I also have a 400 lb sac i put on the ski locker.

Surf wave is awesome with a suck gate, but i do need about 150 lbs worth of people to sit in the bow (even with the 400lb sac) or getting on plane is hard. I'm planning on adding a 725 lb bow sac and getting rid of the 400lb sac on the ski locker.

For wakeboarding i fill the 400 lb sac on the ski locker, and the rear bags to about 500 lbs. (estimate) and it produces a nice wake at 21mph, but i am no pro so don't need anything crazy.

Last edited by toddvdh; 10-16-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM
TT Regular

Here is the wake for reference.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X10 MCX
toddvdh is spot on. These boats need the bow weight when the 750's are full. For surfing I run both 750's full, kgb full (300 lbs), and bow sacks full (350 lbs). Depending on crew size I usually have to move at least one person to the front. I bought the bow sack kit from wakemakers and it is a sack on each side (175lbs ea) and not a single v style sack.

For wakeboarding I'm running the same as todd but with the kgb and bow sacks full.

This past winter i added (2) more through hull inlets and upgraded all of my ballast hose to 1". This may not be in your plans, but I would definitely look into it.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:17 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiesel View Post
toddvdh is spot on. These boats need the bow weight when the 750's are full. For surfing I run both 750's full, kgb full (300 lbs), and bow sacks full (350 lbs). Depending on crew size I usually have to move at least one person to the front. I bought the bow sack kit from wakemakers and it is a sack on each side (175lbs ea) and not a single v style sack.

For wakeboarding I'm running the same as todd but with the kgb and bow sacks full.

This past winter i added (2) more through hull inlets and upgraded all of my ballast hose to 1". This may not be in your plans, but I would definitely look into it.
Awesome...the through hulls are also in the plans...just putting in some time researching everything before i take the plunge! Much appreciated guys!
Old 10-17-2018, 12:43 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdiesel View Post

Hmm. So you have 650 lbs up front and still sometimes add another person up front?

While wakeboarding/surfing my kids sit up front and that is 400lbs (sac) + 160lbs (kids).

That makes me want to try the 725lb "v" type bow sac. I wonder if it will fit and fill to capacity?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:04 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm88 View Post
Awesome...the through hulls are also in the plans...just putting in some time researching everything before i take the plunge! Much appreciated guys!

Here is the thread that I referenced when adding the inlets. Lot's of good information in this thread:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=39345
Old 10-17-2018, 01:32 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvdh View Post
Hmm. So you have 650 lbs up front and still sometimes add another person up front?

While wakeboarding/surfing my kids sit up front and that is 400lbs (sac) + 160lbs (kids).

That makes me want to try the 725lb "v" type bow sac. I wonder if it will fit and fill to capacity?
All dependent on crew size. If my crew size is 4, I won't move anyone to the front. Driver, one in the observer's seat, one on the pad, and the fourth one surfing. Anything over a crew of four and one person goes to the front and the others as far forward as possible. It's usually all adults with me that are 120 lbs. plus.

I talked with wakemakers before ordering my bow sack and they told me that they have accurate measurements of the bow storage area of our boats and I wouldn't gain that much more weight with a v sack due to the height under the seats being the restricting factor and the v sack would not fill to capacity. The 175 lb bags will pop my seat cushions up for reference. I still have space at the very front of the bow that a v sack would fill, but I don't know how much more weight it would give me. I am considering getting some lead bags to throw up there.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 PM
TT Newbie

This might be a dumb question but for those that flipped their ballast pumps...do you need to rewire them...I assume that once flipped if you hit fill they would actually empty?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:56 PM
TT Regular

No rewiring. Unbolt the the head from the motor and rotate it 180 degrees and bolt it back on.