Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X30
Yeah my controls for them functions have moved to the vdig.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X-2
So, went out this evening. Absolutely beautiful. Messed around with every switch and rocker that I have, none of them control the brightness of the lights. So we are back to the original question about adding a dimmer.
Does anyone know if all of the dash lights are controlled by a single circut? If I find the correct wire and add a rotary switch that controls voltage, should that do the trick? I will hide it under the dash so it is out of the way but still accessable.
Thanks, HR
Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS197
Might take a bit of tinkering, but this shouldn't be hard to do. Not sure what your boat has, but you would think that on the light switch, for the on position, there would be a wire supplying power to the dash, and another supplying power to the front and/or rear lights. Just take a multimeter and figure out what wire goes where. Once you isolate the wire supplying power to the dash, add a properly sized pot in line with it and there is your dimmer.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Reynolds View Post
So, went out this evening. Absolutely beautiful. Messed around with every switch and rocker that I have, none of them control the brightness of the lights. So we are back to the original question about adding a dimmer.
Does anyone know if all of the dash lights are controlled by a single circut? If I find the correct wire and add a rotary switch that controls voltage, should that do the trick? I will hide it under the dash so it is out of the way but still accessable.
Thanks, HR
Maybe. It depends on the light type in the gauges. I think essentially all halogen and incandescent bulbs dim successfully with lower voltage. But, while most LEDs dim well, low voltage can shorten the life of others.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
I have a 2007 x2 and had the same problem. I bought a summer on eBay and wired it to the clarion radio control, waaay too bright. It worked perfectly. I'll look for the link. I mounted the control under the dash through the aluminum brackets that hold the steering wheel. I need to add 1 more for the dad lights, it's mainly the speedo that's too bright right?
Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X-2
Overall all the dash lights and the stereo remote are all way too bright. I never noticed it at dusk, but we were coming back at around 10:30 and it was pitch black. Any info would be great. I hate to throw darts at electrical things because you never know how different systems react.
Thanks.