Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 11:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 X23 6000GDI - Previous 2014 Gen2 X25 6.0L
43 is nothing! You can sort it out.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
For what it's worth, I didn't grow up skiing but bought at 197 because my neighbor owned one and I really enjoyed the family time we had when we went out with him.

Tried slalom for the first time five years ago at 51. Made a vow that I'd start ONLY on a single ski and ONLY in deepwater. My neighbor, who is a terrific skier, took me out, coached me on what I needed to practice and we focused on one thing at a time. Managed to get up and ski with relative confidence in that first session, and have been doing so ever since and always up on the first try.

Fast forward to this year, and there have been a couple of times where I needed a second try to get up--could be tired, age, just not "feeling it"--it happens. And although it should be "no big deal" it really bothered me--like I'd lost something or some change had occurred outside of my control, so I can definitely relate to why you're frustrated with the longevity of not getting up.

I'll echo what others have said about you being too young to throw in the towel. My gut tells me it's more mental than physical and I think the best approach might not to keep beating your head against the same wall, but to go around it.

Were it me, I'd at least try a different ski--like one of those wide body combos (we use a pair for guest skiers, learners and "big guys"). Maybe even go back to two skis, or even throw a wakeboard into the mix-anything just to get back to having some fun and success behind the boat. A little success might get you back to a relaxed state where the muscle memory is overriding the anxiety.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
A slalom ski is much more difficult to get up on than a wakeboard. (maybe not one of the big oversized ones, I've never tried one of those)
I dont know about that. I slalom and trick ski and cannot stand getting up on a wakeboard!

Slalom start is not about strength or effort it is all about position and balance. I for instance dont recommend going single foot starts because a 1 leg squat is harder than a 2 leg squat. But it is very important to emphasize the front foot pressure.

A ski has quite a lot of sq inches - and lots of it is in front of the front binding. During the pull back foot pressure pushes more of the ski up out of the water which gives you less surface area and more drag. It also puts the ski vertical in the water not horizontal which causes drag and pops handles.

If you keep your knees bent with the back heel under your butt and focus on keeping your butt shallow in the water youll be up.

Think about what butt shallow means though. You want the ski in the water the tail under you so the ski is somewhat flat. And you want to be near the surface of the water. That means head up above the water back straight hips knees flexed and eyes up at the top of the boats window. And as that boat pulls you literally are just riding the ski out of the water.

With a few tries no matter how big you are youll realize that you are instantly up and just waiting for the boat to accelerate.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
" My young daughter says butterflies are life’s indicator something really cool is about to happen, and that they do not happen enough"

I love this quote! It is SO TRUE!! This is how I feel (at 45 years old 6'2 225lbs) every time I get on my ski OR about to barefoot at 41MPH. It's a fine line of "really cool" or scary as H*ll!! I can relate to your frustration on the lack of strength as we get older. I was an all american college athlete who took it hard when I couldn't "just go out and do it" anymore. After a few years of feeling sorry for myself I woke up joined a boot camp type of gym, made an effort to eat better and cut down on my beer. I now enjoy vodka and soda more!! We have a very active social life and I don't want to give that up! We focus on being good/smart all week and then enjoy our weekend. Don't get me wrong I will always have more to go but I'm able to enjoy my water time! The biggest advise I received when I walked into the boot camp gym was "check your ego at the door". Work smart!

Getting back up on my one ski I did change how I do it. I was always a two foot in kind of skier. Was taught that way when I was 9. I now leave my right foot out and use it as a "keel" as getting up. It took time to get use to it but its less stress on body.
I feel ya! Best of luck!

Last edited by PT 1999 ProStar; 10-05-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Ski Centurion
If your having a hard time with deep water starts ski on two and drop one. You will still get you need to swerve fix and then you can always practice your deepwater starts at the end of your run.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
old fat out of the shape I should be in... 54 and I got up this year just like every other year.. of course it was the drivers fault the first 3 times I couldn't get up..but on the 4th up and away.. and then the rest of the year no trouble.. My muscle memory must forget every darn year..
Old 10-04-2018, 06:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC XT23 2018 5500 GDI
Interesting comments by all.. Im surprised at the suggestion to NOT put weight on your rear foot. Im 61 and been coaching people most of my life and always have them focus on their rear foot and channeling all their weight to their rear foot when the boat takes off. I have found this is the one method that works for almost everyone.... its simple, allows the ski to do the work and pops people out of the water quicker.. just saying.... I do agree with the comment that maybe your ski size should be considered.... some of the wider ones are very nice to ski on plus they are more forgiving..
4th boat in 2018 - XT23
Old 10-04-2018, 07:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Sunsetter LS1
don't give up - i started on slalom at 43. i agree with the above post about putting some pressure on your back foot when coming out - i got a smaller ski this summer and that was the trick to getting up on it.

I can also vouch for the HO TX ski i have - it's about 1/2" wider than a traditional ski but it turns very easy. They also made a superlite version that I hear really rips. if a 67" TX would fit you contact HO they have a few left in there demo fleet.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:38 PM
TT Regular

How old are you and is your heart good? That would be my biggest concern, not the lack of "getting up-ness".

Use the RADAR Butterknife. Big-fat-a$$ wide ski.

If that doesn't work, I agree, blame the driver!

Now I have a boat so I can't afford it anymore.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 PM
TT Regular

Also, how I get up is likely unnatural to most. I let the boat pull me up! LOL!

Not joking, but I am a right-foot forward guy. I keep the rope on my right side. I am both feet in, and I just let the ski plane out. I lean a little forward on the pull-up until the ski planes, then I stand up. It's a constant movement going form forward to upright.

Works for me.

I am goofy-footed, (that means when I ride a skateboard, I kick with my right foot with my left foot on the rear of the board).

May not work for some. I also throw left-handed, but kick right footed.

Just FYI. Try anything until it works.

Now I have a boat so I can't afford it anymore.