Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-28-2010, 06:25 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
1989 prostar starter

guys, need help for my cousin. he bought a 89 prostar from a fellow member. the starter has gone out. he called skidim last week and they sent him a new one. they did tell him the newer model was smaller but much better, but that it had one extra wire on it.

problem is he has it installed but does not know what to do the "extra" yellow relay wire.

any help can put him back on the water this weekend.

thanks.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-17-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 AM
MC Addict

thanks for yor help. will let him know.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:31 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
I just put one of those in a couple of days ago, it should have come with a little diagram showing how to hook it up. Since he did not have the diagram at all, I am concerned he might not have the large wire in the correct location either, so as another point of input:
  • Large wire from the new starter to the post on the original solenoid post that has the battery attached (should be the top one). Effectively, this wires the new starter directly to the battery. This is because the new starter has its own solenoid.
  • Little wire goes from the spade terminal on the starter to the other large terminal on the old solenoid. This will be the terminal that the original started attached to (should also be on the bottom). It only gets 12v when the key is in the start position and will tell the new starter when to fire its solenoid.

The new starter does indeed rock, world of difference.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 AM
MC Addict

he got it installed. thanks for those who helped.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Old thread but does anyone have any pictures of this starter? I would like to upgrade mine on my 83 PCM 351.

Thanks for any help!

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 10-13-2010, 08:13 AM
TT Regular

See this link:

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Page...20Starters.pdf

It is the 70200 that we are discussing, page 36.

It is the one sold by skidim (I called and verified), but you can find it much less at other vendors (almost $100 less).
Old 10-13-2010, 03:48 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks for the link! So this is noticably better in terms of performance then my old stocker? When she gets hot (motor) the starter is very slow to get her moving again so I usually just let it idle instead of shutting it off. I know there are other factors involved here but for me if the starter sounds great when cold and fires the boat up with ease, then does the direct opposite when its hot then it must be the starter.

Thank you!

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 10-13-2010, 04:39 PM
TT Regular

Much better performance. The engine is spun considerably faster with this starter than with a stock one. This leads to nice quick starts. The gear reduction motors just plain sound cool too as they spin much faster.

Before purchasing, might as well check that cables/battery are in good shape and the connections are clean. That said, with the cold vs. hot difference, I agree there is a pretty good chance it is the starter, just never hurts to check.

I verified mine was a starter issue by taking it to my local parts outlet. Can't recall who I ordered mine from at the moment, but it was under $150
Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM
MC Devotee

If you could find out that would be great.

I just checked your resto thread, man you did some killer work on your boat. Professional to say the least bro!

JTR
-Charles Chaplin-