Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1986 master craft, 351
Cranking problems

I have a 86' w 351 ford and Last year i changed to electric ignition and also changed plugs and wires. It ran good, cranked good last year after we got it in time, or as close as we could get it. I tried two timing guns one didn't work and the guy that was helping me said it would not read through new wires, to thick for old light. He just did it by ear, sounded good and ran good.
This year took a little to get it cranked put in some sea foam and ran for a little while. Put it in the water it would crank but would go dead in idle. It ran good and pulled good but would not idle.
Put it in water yesterday would not crank at all ran battery down trying to crank. I put it on fake a wake today and got it to crank, sounded ok, but when I turned it off and tried to re crank it would not. Seems like no gas, so I would give it gas and then it made a noise as smoke came out of the flame arrestor. Waited a minute and it would crank .
I have never changed my fuel filter should i try this first or does it sound like a carb problem.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by cgarmon; 05-29-2011 at 05:30 PM.