Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
The Murray is a great board.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-05-2017, 08:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
I am about 5' 7" 200lbs and I ride a Hyperlite Baseline 141. It get up in a hurry and rides smooth. I would recommend it.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X1
Go with the Murray in my opinion. The slingshot nomad is a fun board to press around but for the less experienced/beginner rider all slingshot boards are very loose and unforgiving. The only way I would say to go with the slingshot is if your beginner wakeboarder is an experienced and comfortable snowboarder. If that is true, then the slingshot would be an easy transition for him. Otherwise, get the Murray 150, and maybe even throw 1" p-wings on it instead of the .8" I know a couple good riders who prefer a more locked in feel and love their Murray 150 with 1" p-wings.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 Mastercraft Sport Star 19 OB. 5.7L vortex mx plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blue View Post
I'm 6'4" and currently about 265, but I was over 3 bills when I first got the board, The biggest advantage is the extra surface area. There's so much less drag on the rider that I could ride longer and not wear out my grip just holding on. Its not something I even thought about before, because I didnt know any different, but that immediately stood out to me the first time I rode it.
Thanks for all the input! I was pretty much set on going with the Murray 150 but you've convinced me with the Nomad 160 now. That's probably what we will order!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 Mastercraft Sport Star 19 OB. 5.7L vortex mx plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
Go with the Murray in my opinion. The slingshot nomad is a fun board to press around but for the less experienced/beginner rider all slingshot boards are very loose and unforgiving. The only way I would say to go with the slingshot is if your beginner wakeboarder is an experienced and comfortable snowboarder. If that is true, then the slingshot would be an easy transition for him. Otherwise, get the Murray 150, and maybe even throw 1" p-wings on it instead of the .8" I know a couple good riders who prefer a more locked in feel and love their Murray 150 with 1" p-wings.
Hmmm now you guys have me jumping back and forth. The person riding is quite a bit bigger so I thought the bigger board would allow him to get up better/easier and feel more stable?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I'm on my second Murray if that helps you any. It is probably one of the most forgiving boards that I've ridden.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-05-2017, 05:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
Best thing is to get the weight down - both boards will work fine but wakeboarding gets tougher as height/weight increase. This is the advice I am giving myself as well.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwb View Post
Best thing is to get the weight down - both boards will work fine but wakeboarding gets tougher as height/weight increase. This is the advice I am giving myself as well.
Definitely. Of course, not much you can do about height. But dropping weight has the biggest effect. That said, if a new rider can have a better experience, it can be a motivation to drop weight over the winter.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeks2 View Post
Hmmm now you guys have me jumping back and forth. The person riding is quite a bit bigger so I thought the bigger board would allow him to get up better/easier and feel more stable?
As a new rider, he's not going to be able to tell the intricacies of the board regardless. All he'll know is that is either is better than what he's been riding. The Nomad is a pretty loose board, so the other may be easier to control at first. But if he learns on the Nomad, he wont know any different so it wont really matter. Basically you cant go wrong with either.

Tags
big boy boards, hyperlite wakeboard, newbie, size recommendations, slingshot wakeboard